Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What?

Posted By: LivinInLavon

Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 02:48 AM

I just got a boat that has not been run in several years. I would think it needs a new water pump and carb job. Any other things to look for and any mechanic ideas near Wylie?
Posted By: slabslayer1105

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 02:58 AM

Fuel filter and fuel lines
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 03:12 AM

Change lower unit oil

Impeller

Carb cleaning/rebuild

inspect ALL electrical connections, check all lights, gauges, etc

test all water pumps (livewell, bilge)

check for places inside the hull where stagnant water may have weakened spots

Steering cable cleaned & lubricated

Throttle cable/linkage checked

That's off the top of my head ...
Posted By: stick steering

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 03:54 AM

stuck rings can also be a possibility , I run double oil through it also after the other things you mentioned are done
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 04:10 AM

Pull the plugs and spray some sea foam into the cylinders for a week or so prior to turning the motor over. New gas, plugs, impeller and seal ring kit, lower unit oil. put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in it and a can of sea foam and take it out and run it from 4000-5500 rpm's for 15 mins and the let it sit overnight. repeat the sea foam treatment the next day only this time use 2 cans and run it for 1-2 hours. If the sea foam wont blow the gunk out of your carbs you'll need a rebuild, but usually it'll do the trick.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 01:29 PM

Boat and motor year and hp?
Posted By: LivinInLavon

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/12/14 10:41 PM

1990 Kingfisher, 88 Johnson. I knew I could get sound advice before heading to a shop. Any suggestion for a shop near Rockwall to do the work?
Posted By: fly_on_a_xpress

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/14/14 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: LivinInLavon
1990 Kingfisher, 88 Johnson. I knew I could get sound advice before heading to a shop. Any suggestion for a shop near Rockwall to do the work?

Rockwall marine thumb
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Boat Been Sitting for several Years, Now What? - 05/14/14 01:58 PM

I also suggest Rockwall marine for service.

That being said, those old v-4 Johnsons can surprise you. I had one ('79 model) that had sat in a pasture for 5 yrs, I drained all the old gas, replaced with new, and it busted off and ran like it hadn't been sitting in over a week. I did replace the water pump impeller and lower unit lube, and ran some Sea Foam thru it for a couple of tanks afterward. Used that boat for the next 8 yrs without a hickup after that, just doing normal maintenance. It still ran fine when i got rid of it, and the buddy that got it praises the motor for being so reliable.

If you're not comfortable with that, by all means get it serviced (can't hurt anything but the wallet). Rockwall Marine does all the scheduled service on the new motor for me, great people.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum