Texas Fishing Forum

Fuel Stabilizer ??

Posted By: GO'N FISH'N

Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/13/03 01:43 AM

Is fuel stabilizer ok to run year a round ?
Is there also anything in the stabilizer that cleans the fuel system ?
If not,Is it recommended to run a fuel cleaner in the fuel ?
If so,How often would you run it through ?
What is a good stabilizer and fuel system cleaner ?

Thanks for the help
Vance
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/13/03 01:56 AM

Vance, don't know what kind of engine you have but in my Yamaha's I run Ring Free Fuel Additive which is what Yamaha recommends. I have had 4 engines and now getting ready to break in my HPDI. Ring Free has repeadly proven its ability to clean combustion deposits from inside the engine, notably the critical piston-ring-land area, and fuel system components. I run some Ring Free through every other fill up.

I might also recommend the TecTron that is put out by Chevron to use in a pinch if need be. Between these two recommendations I would use nothing else...Hope this is of some help. Good Luck!
Posted By: WillieFindum

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/29/03 08:47 PM

Go'n, I use STA-BIL year round per directions on bottle. I have used it in my 115 Johnson for 10 years and have never had any carb problems. I don't drain the fuel over the winter nor at the ramp(running the motor to drain the carbs causes the engine to run lean and leads to cylinder/piston problems). I use it in my 15 yr.old lawn mower, always starts on second pull. Weed eater and chain saw(both were given to me because they wouldn't start)cleaned up the carb, always start now. Out board, weed eater, mower, or chain saw, when I finish I just park them till I need them again, never drain fuel. Note: if you start using Sta-bil in an engine without cleaning the gum and varish out first, it will break down the gum and varish and foul the needle and seat. Wal-Mart is cheapest for the 32 oz size. Well, that's my opinoin and story and I am sticking to it. Dr Bill
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/29/03 09:42 PM

I use Sea Foam, it is probably about like Ring Free. It is good stuff, just dump it in the tank at fill up and forget about it. It keeps everything clean, and is a stabilizer also.
Posted By: TX Champ

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/29/03 09:51 PM

Go'n, Ring Free is an additive to clean the fuel system and help prevent carbon buildup. It's similar to Merc's Kwikleen and Bomb's Carbon Guard. OMC/Bomb did/does make a sabilizer called 2+4, however I don't see it on their site. I've not seen anything similar from Merc and just not familiar with Yamaha's products. Sta-bil will work just fine to help keep you gas from going stale. I also recommend you run one of the additives above to help keep your fuel system clean and prevent carbon.
Posted By: PROCRAFT

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/30/03 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info guys. When I got my boat,I had them set me up with some treatment/stabilizer. They got me using Mercury brand treatment/stabilizer.One bottle was $6.00,but will last awhile using it for year round use (1 ounce for every 6 gallons).

Keep Reel'n
Prev.user name-Go'n Fish'n
Vance
Posted By: eabrooke

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/30/03 12:20 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about ring free. Where do y'all buy it in the DFW area?
Posted By: TX Champ

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/30/03 01:49 PM

Procraft, you must be talking about Kwikleen by the 1oz to 6 gal. Read the label, it's not a stabilizer. It's great for keeping your innerds clean, but it you want a stabilizer due to the boat sitting long periods, I'd still put some STA-BIL in it.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/30/03 02:37 PM

eabrooke, you can purchase Ring Free at any Yamaha certified dealer. Just check around in your area, they will have it. I swear by the stuff.

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/31/03 12:34 AM

TXChamp, It says for everyday use the 1oz to 6gal. If you let it sit for long periods of time it get mixed 1oz to 2 1/2
gal..sorry I didn't include that in my post. Hopefully the boat is not going to be sitting for any long periods.I plan on running it year around.

Keep Reel'n
Vance
Posted By: Mike L

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 01/31/03 07:58 PM

You guys have me thinking now. I use Penzoil fuel stabilizer in my '01 150 Merc XR6. It sells for less than $2.00/bottle at Wal-Mart.

Is this OK? Should I use a different brand? Pleae advise your thoughts.

Thanks!

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 02/01/03 03:26 AM

MikeL, How do you like your Merc.150 ?? Thats the same motor I had put on my ProCraft. Today was the first time to run it,since I bought it. It was running a little rough @ idle and smoked some,but I'm assuming that is due to the doulbe oiling I'm having to do,until my 20hr service. Other than that,its got all kinds of power and does great @ top end.

Just wondering
Keep Reel'n
Vance
Posted By: Tex Pat

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 02/02/03 01:51 AM

I run any brand stabilizer (STP, Penn, Havoline, OMC2+4). Occassionally I run a pure fuel system cleaner too, but not at the same time. If you check the label on the most popular brands, you will notice they are all basically the same stuff. Also, run the gas out of the carbs if you can. I have done this for 25+ years OMCs and Yammers and never rebuilt a carb.
Posted By: Mike L

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 02/04/03 11:25 PM

Procraft, sorry for the late reply. I love the Merc. 150. I have a Ballistic ss 22pitch prop on it. It will pull my fat arse out of the water on a slalom ski! Quick out of the hole and planes out nicely.

Texpat, I can not run the gas out of the carbs on my Merc. unless I pinch the fuel line. I guess it would be worth it if the boat did not get used for a while. I try to get out every weekend when Mother Nature will allow!
Posted By: eddie lane

Re: Fuel Stabilizer ?? - 02/19/03 02:56 PM

Williefindum wrote my reply,couldn't agree more. Have used it in my mercury 50 hp ,4stroke with the same results.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum