Texas Fishing Forum

First Flatbottom

Posted By: envy54

First Flatbottom - 03/15/14 07:16 AM

Okay guys I have a few newb questions here so please don't bash me lol I've always been a passenger and never truely owned a boat so I decided to start out with a 14' flat bottom with a 60lb minn kota trolling motor... Here goes the questions ANY AND ALL help will be appreciated!!!

1) Using a Exide st31dc205 what a decent charger to use? What will it read when the battery is full?

2) Should I buy a small car battery to keep in boat full charged for emergency purposed?

3) Should these batteries be in a box?
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: First Flatbottom - 03/15/14 07:46 AM

I use a small 2 amp 12v charger I got from Walmart for less than 30 bucks been using it for five years or longer. I always put the charger on when not using the boat if you keep the battery charged it will last longer. I have never taken a back up battery with me but do recommend keeping a paddle at all times. I also don't keep mine in a battery box but it sure wouldn't hurt to do so. Hope this helps you some.
Posted By: envy54

Re: First Flatbottom - 03/15/14 10:24 AM

Thanks are there any other ideas tips or tricks you got for me? Im the type of person to have all my basis covered lol
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: First Flatbottom - 03/15/14 12:28 PM

peak chargers are ok when there working right, i just don't trust them, get a digital volt meter to monitor your batteries/charge instead of trusting a peak charger. deep cycles are rated in cycles, 1 cycle is drain down and charge up, i stand firm on 2a chargers for deep cycle batteries, always store your batteries with a full charge and monitor on a monthly bases, and believe it or not, but a deep cycle also has a break in period, a new battery is charged to 70-75%, so after install, charge to peak, try to stay above 50% on your dod or depth of discharge and watch the water levels
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: First Flatbottom - 03/15/14 03:54 PM

Battery boxes are too cheap not to run one. Especially in a metal boat where shorting out is a huge concern if it happens to tip over in rough water.

Most any low amp charger will do you just fine. 2amp for long trickle charges, 6-10 amp for overnight charges. Ideally you'd want to use the 2amp whenever possible. but at times we just don't have the time when on a multiple day trip, and need the faster ability of a higher amp charge. I have a cheap Schumaker (sp?) charger from Walmart, and it's been doing a fine job for many years. Only problem I have with a 'smart' charger is, they can refuse to charge a battery that is almost completely dead. They think the battery is bad if below a certain voltage. I have had to run jumpers to a second battery to get the voltage up enough so the smarty will come on, then remove the jumper after an hour or so. Just a way to fool it when it's too smart for its own good.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum