Texas Fishing Forum

trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp

Posted By: biggastaar

trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 12:09 AM

so i purchasd a 24v motor guide to replace my 24v minnkota.
currently set up with 2 inline glas fuses. the problem i keep popping fuses. i know i should get a 50amp circuit breaker butnot very skilled with electrical. if i continue with inline what size fuse should i be using? i could only find 30amp glass fuses all the 50 amp were big copper.......
Posted By: opus

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 12:32 AM

How long does it run before it blows?

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 12:36 AM

this time as soon as i went on the highest speed.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 02:41 AM

too low an amperage rating, you need a 50 with a 24 mg.

here is how to wire a breaker (pic of mine) white wire is pos.

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 03:03 AM

thanks Hop.... i see you have a manual reset. i looked all over for onw but all i coud find was a automatic little metal 50amp breaker. will that work

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 03:05 AM

hop what gage cable are you using?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 10:51 AM

you need 6 ga. wire, the auto reset is ok but try to get a manual reset. manual will let you disconnect while charging and cut power between the plug and breaker for safety.
8 ga. will work but 6 is better.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 02:06 PM

Tip go over all connections at wire ends and trolling motor plug-in checking for corroded or wire ends that look like the may have been hot and replace as needed. Can save you a lot of head aches later.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 03:30 PM

An even better tip is to not just crimp your connectors, but solder them as well. Crimps can and do get corroded sometimes and still cause issues, solder is FOREVER!
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: trolling motor keeps blowing fuses helpppp - 01/04/14 06:18 PM

I would use #6 wire and if it does not already have that I would rewire it. Also check that the wire is AWG and not SAE. SAE wire is 12-18% smaller and does not carry as much current. Unfortunately, some builders use SAE wire because it's cheaper. My G3 had it and I replaced everything in the boat.
If the manual for your TM say use a 50A breaker, then that's what you need to use. The resettable type is best, and I would even go so far as to use a Blue Sea breaker. Their stuff is made for the marine environment. I also recommend staying away from soldering unless you are proficient at it. A poorly done solder joint will cause you headaches, and you'll probably burn the wire insulation and have solder wick up under the insulation. Done by an inexperienced person, it general results is a pretty sloppy looking job. If you start with clean, shiny wire, use a quality marine grade crimp connector, and cover the connection with heat shrink, it will last forever. I've been in the marine business for 15 years and have done thousands of them installing electrical equipment and power panels and have never had a failure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum