Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling motor problem

Posted By: slabmeplease

Trolling motor problem - 10/24/13 03:14 PM

I need a little help. Just some information before I begin. I have foot controlled 24v Minnkota Edge 70 trolling motor. On a previous trip while reversing I hear popping noises coming from the foot control. I look down a see some sparks and notice the electrical smell. I check and don't see anything out of the norm. Then one a more recent trip I don't hear hear any popping or see an sparks, but I do notice that funny smelling electrical smell again. Seems like I'm not getting all of my power either. Does anybody have any ideas as to what may be going on with my trolling motor foot pedal? There is obviously some kind of electrical problem. Any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Trolling motor problem - 10/24/13 04:32 PM

bare wire short, turn the pedal over and look for blackened spots on the red wire, then check all others.

you need to fix it or you risk boat fire since it seems you do not have a breaker on it.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Trolling motor problem - 10/24/13 04:33 PM

if no shorts found in the pedal area pull the top cap and check the black/red wires and see if they cross, had mine (same tm) get crossed and mashed at the factory, created a dead short and blew the breaker.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Trolling motor problem - 10/24/13 04:38 PM

you definitely have some sort of electrical problem.

may be best to take it to a service center.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Trolling motor problem - 10/24/13 05:58 PM

I have a MinnKota repair manual if that will help you any. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you.
Posted By: slabmeplease

Re: Trolling motor problem - 10/28/13 02:14 AM

Thank you all for the help!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum