Texas Fishing Forum

Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes

Posted By: easttexasbucks

Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 04:42 PM

Have a 1995 Mercury 175. The low oil alarm sounds off and the light blinks when I hit some good wakes. It stops sounding and blinking after I get through the wake. Has plenty of oil. Anyone know why it does this??

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 06:04 PM

Surely someone has experienced this. Bump for some thoughts and comments!
Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 06:10 PM

Have read that mercs are known for false alarms from faulty sending unit in oil tank. Had to replace tank on my 02 225 efi.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 06:16 PM

Is the tank on the motor full, that's what i would check first before replacing the sensor, I have replaced several oil caps over the years that have cracked, they seem to work lose on some engines

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 06:43 PM

Need to check tank on motor. Keep up with thoughts and comments.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 08:21 PM

Screen on main tank pickup dirty, main tank air leak from cap not tight enough or dirty, had one that the oil entry fitting top of secondary reservoir was partially clogged.

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/22/13 09:26 PM

Checked oil tank in top of motor. It was low. Thanks for advice.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/23/13 05:07 AM

You need to find out why it was low. Check the lines from your remote tank and make sure the filter in the bottom of it is clean.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/23/13 05:15 AM

You have some kind of a leak some where. Check the cap and the lines for signs of a oil leak.

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/23/13 11:43 PM

Will check

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/23/13 11:47 PM

I did notice some oil. I will follow the lines

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/24/13 12:21 AM

Lines look good. It may be leaking out of the cap when the engine is tilted up when it's stored. I noticed some fresh oil at the cap. I will check filter in the remote tank as well.

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/24/13 12:37 AM

So does the remote tank feed the oil tank on the engine?

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/24/13 02:54 AM

The main tank in the boat supply`s the secondary (remote) tank on the top front of the motor. It builds air pressure supplied by the motor through a hose from the pulse valve to the main tank. Then the other hose supply`s pressured oil from the main tank back to the remote tank where the intermittent alarm sounds for low oil via the float sensor.

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/24/13 11:20 AM

Got it....sorry I am a little green. Just bought a new to me boat and my last boat was a pre-mix set up. Tank on engine was about a couple of inches low. I just need to isolate why the oil tank on the engine went a little low when there was plenty of oil in the tank on the boat. The lines looked real good but i could of lost some oil at the cap. Tons of debate on whether to get rid of it and pre-mix.

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/24/13 12:50 PM

When all is right the oil will fill the remote pretty quick. Normal leak problem is cracked cap on remote and will not cause the alarm until you start running out in the main. Check the main tank caps for good seal (soapy water sprayed their will motor is running) Check the screen. Keep it on Mercs unless the drive gear for oil pump fails. Omc`s is a different story.

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 09/24/13 01:21 PM

Will do...thanks Gary

Re: Oil Alarm sounding when I hit wakes - 10/07/13 12:17 AM

Oil cap on tank was loose! Fixed
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum