Texas Fishing Forum

Boat is scared to run at lake??

Posted By: BASS-HOLE

Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 12:24 AM

I have a 96 Johnson Fastrike, it will run in my driveway on muffs all day long. In gear, in neutral, doesn't matter! When I take it to the lake and back in and try to start it will only run for seconds then dies! Any feedback or help is appreciated!
Posted By: sbump26

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 01:01 AM

Check compression. If OK, look into fuel system, particularly the carbs (if it has them).
Posted By: sbump26

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 01:01 AM

Check compression. If OK, look into fuel system, particularly the carbs (if it has them). It will run in the driveway because there is no back pressure on the exhaust.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 01:09 AM

Make shure it is running {firing} on all cylinders. Remove the air box, run on hose, see if any carbs are dripping fuel in the venture. Needle and seat may be leaking.

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 01:37 AM

I rebuilt one carb, it would spill fuel when tilted up! Had boat at a local mechanic, he said carbs looked ok. He made adjustments to the reeds a couple were slightly opened. He also installed new bulb!!
Posted By: Kris_tx

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 02:31 AM

Most likely carb problem.

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 12:19 PM

Check the enrichment valve it may be turned or bypassing. Next would be the VRO pump.

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 05:12 PM

One thing I have noticed is the bulb never gets hard, even after being changed out! Don't know if that will help?

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 05:22 PM

Sounds like you have a fuel leak or a needle and seat on a carb is leaking. Did the boat mechanic adjust the idle air?

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/28/13 06:31 PM

I don't think he did! He replaced valve on primer solenoid and bulb, as for any tuning I don't think so.
Posted By: Kris_tx

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/29/13 02:43 AM

Is the primer valve flipped the right way?

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/30/13 12:29 PM

What are some issues to look for on the VRO?

Re: Boat is scared to run at lake?? - 05/31/13 02:06 AM

Think I found problem, bad fuel line from bulkhead to motor! Primer bulb gets hard as a rock now!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum