Texas Fishing Forum

Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water?

Posted By: JMWest

Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/17/12 06:50 PM

Who do you call to get help if you're stuck on the water?

Posted By: hopalong

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/17/12 07:15 PM

m-f my insurance agent, got some sort of coverage for tows.
most of the time I am on the water with others in boats and we all have each others cell #.

on texoma a couple of yrs ago I had to call the lake patrol, bilge came on and would not go off, pumping for all it was worth (and no the plug was in) engine had died and would not restart (blew the 20a main fuse under the cowling), trolling motor was not gonna work against the wind, coast guard was not on ch 16. they did come out to get me but another tourney fisherman had already hooked me up to tow me in. turned out the livewell pump had worked loose and was leaking pretty good around it.

back on the lake 4 hrs later.

Posted By: nax

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/17/12 07:48 PM

In addition to insurance agent and lake patrol, for lakes I visit often, I keep all of the marina phone numbers on the phone. I've never had to use it, but I figure they would be able to get SOMEBODY to come and help out.

Friends with boats might also be an option.

Posted By: jacjac171

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/18/12 01:51 AM

Sound advice from both!

Posted By: Mike Halfmann the boatmann

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/18/12 01:37 PM

I've called 911 on July 4th. Told them I had an non-emergency situation. They were to notify the sheriffs dept and/or TPWD, both of which was on the lake at the time, NEITHER responded. I did get a tow from a sail boat and while passing the TPWD boys, I gave them the middle finger, secret Hawaiian Wave which of course they responded immediately.......LOL

Posted By: opus

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/18/12 02:02 PM

Ive been broke down twice (in 35 yrs) once my boat once a friends, both times a friendly boater gave us a tow really couldn't tell ya about nowadays last time was 20 yrs ago. Towed a few in last one 9 am and this guy is out of gas skiing and then didnt like the marinas gas prices lol

Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/18/12 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: opus
Ive been broke down twice (in 35 yrs) once my boat once a friends, both times a friendly boater gave us a tow really couldn't tell ya about nowadays last time was 20 yrs ago. Towed a few in last one 9 am and this guy is out of gas skiing and then didnt like the marinas gas prices lol

That is skiers for you you. They leave their brains behind at the house. I ran in to a guy in Little Mineral about 10 minutes before pitch black holding up a ski. I stopped an asked Where is the boat? They had gone to LMM only about 1/3 mile away to get gas and left him floating. I have been fortunate. Even blew an engine once and somehow got to it to crank and idle back to ramp. I figure if the TM does not cut it there is always another boat around.

Posted By: 817-Fireman

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/19/12 05:51 PM

An old paddle may not look cool in a fancy new boat but it works every time....

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/19/12 09:21 PM

Broke down one time about 10 years ago, split a fuel line under the cowling.

I have towed I dont know how many people back to the dock, never take a dime and when they ask just tell them to remember the next guy they see stranded.

Posted By: LSUfan

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/20/12 10:41 PM

This is why I put the largest trolling motor possible on my boat smile I've been stranded twice and used my Fortrex 101 to get in with.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/20/12 11:09 PM

SeaTow

BoatUS

Or add on-the-water towing to your regular boat insurance.

I know that you're referring to lakes but I don't often fish lakes. I'm usually in saltwater and more often than not, I'm well offshore.

Contrary to popular belief, the CG will not come out and tow you in if you break down. CG is only coming if you have a medical emergency or need to be rescued. They will rescue you but your boat is S.O.L.

Without SeaTow to BoatUS you're looking at a huge bill to get towed in. In some cases it could be as much as the value of your boat. $150/year for SeaTow or BoatUS. Seems like mighty cheap insurance if you ask me.

Posted By: patriot07

Re: Question: What if your boat breaks down on the water? - 06/21/12 01:50 AM

If it's too windy for my TM to get me to the closest ramp, I'm not out on the water anyway.

I'll live with the chance that my big motor and TM won't both go out. I do carry a paddle in case that happens though.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum