Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Boat Issue - Eagle Mountain Boat Service Needed

Posted By: mak123

Bass Boat Issue - Eagle Mountain Boat Service Needed - 04/10/12 03:14 AM

Saturday drove boat around no wake zone in morning with no issues. Afternoon drove the boat towards dam going around 40mph. Then the boat stalled around half way out. I pumped the bulb and restarted. The bulb was empty and I pumped gas back in. Drove it a bit further going 35mph and same thing happened. Fished at the dam and drove back with no real issues but did not go over 35mph. Fished a bit more in no wake area back where i started near my marina and then put boat back in stall and hoist.

Today,Monday, I lowered the boat and squeezed the bulb to point where it was hard to squeeze. Turned the key, the boat cranked well but would not start or turn over. Not battery. I went to pump again and the bulb was soft so I pumped to real hard. I tried to start but would not turn over. I did the pump bulb and try to start about five times. I raised the boat back out of the water and started to get ready to head home. I noticed a gas film in the water where motor and transom was. I checked bilge area and did not smell gas in bilge area or inside the boat. Nothing coming out of the line where bulb is attached. I have no idea where it came from?

So I am not sure what is the problem. Please advise. Also, please let me know if there is a reputable mechanic on eagle mountain lake or able to come out to dock and evaluate or take to service. I am in lake country marina.

Model Numer:  J200PLSS 
200 HP Johnson Engine year 2000.

Note that Prior weekend I did put too much oil in because boat ended up not taking any fuel and I already put in 50/50 mixture for five gallons worth of gas (ie oil and know gas)... hammer

I appreciate your help!

Posted By: Dwight

Re: Bass Boat Issue - Eagle Mountain Boat Service Needed - 04/10/12 12:54 PM

The primer bulb gets firm when the engine is not running because it's purpose is to fill the float bowls on the carburetors. when full the needle and seat close thus preventing more fuel entry. When the engine is running fuel is "sucked" through the bulb so it will not stay firm. However, if the bulb is being sucked flat, then that does indicate an issue and is usually the result of a blockage between the bulb and the pickup in the fuel tank.

The primer bulb is all that it does, primes/fill fuel system. From what your posting you have a low speed suction issue either from a weak fuel pump diaphragm or a air leak at fuel filter or a hose connection. I will place my bet on diaphragm due to year model and the crappy fuel made today.

Your cheapest and best option is to load it up and take it to a shop.

If you want to try some simple things first, then I would check the fuel lines for air leaks, replace the primer bulb with a name brand and replace the diaphragm fuel pump.

Posted By: Blaine_915

Re: Bass Boat Issue - Eagle Mountain Boat Service Needed - 04/11/12 02:20 AM

Call david at Spankys Boat Repair Call David@817-475-4539. He will come to you and is reasonably priced. He did me right.

Posted By: mak123

Re: Bass Boat Issue - Eagle Mountain Boat Service Needed - 04/13/12 03:06 AM

Thanks.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum