Texas Fishing Forum

Lead Substitute for old motors?

Posted By: michauxii

Lead Substitute for old motors? - 03/14/12 05:33 PM

Years ago when they were phasing out lead in gasoline, there was a "lead substitute" that was added to gas.
Something about these old motors (6hp evinrude) needed the lead to run properly.
Anyone still making this product OR is there any amendment needed for the motors?

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lead Substitute for old motors? - 03/14/12 06:05 PM

How old a motor is it?

I have a 1957, and I have never run anything in it but regular old 87 regular unleaded in it. Not sure, but lead in 4 cycle engines was a lubricant for th emost part, sense a 2 stroke has oil in the gas I never considered it an issue, but never really thought about it either.

matt

Posted By: Mike Halfmann the boatmann

Re: Lead Substitute for old motors? - 03/14/12 06:58 PM

By the time you get any ill effects on the unleaded fuel in that engine......You will be looking at new Y2K motors.

Posted By: Performance Outboards

Re: Lead Substitute for old motors? - 03/14/12 08:13 PM

Lead was put in the fuel to lubricate the valve seats, a two stroke motor does not have valves or anything that needs lubed by the lead. The oil in your fuel lubes everything that needs lubed. Cary

Posted By: michauxii

Re: Lead Substitute for old motors? - 03/14/12 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info!

Posted By: Shadetree

Re: Lead Substitute for old motors? - 03/15/12 02:12 AM

Actually if you are old enough, you can remember when it was recommended to use marine fuel "white gasoline" in outboard engines. Back then you could remove most of the outboards from the boat and carry with one hand, no power trim, jack platesoil injection or ported pistons. The lead in gasoline actually was to control combustion in automotive use. With out lead there was just a violent explosion with and objectionable knock when the cylinder firedon high octane fuel. b

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum