Texas Fishing Forum

Walmart Marine Batteries

Posted By: M&M13

Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/14/10 08:06 PM

Well i just went and bought me a new 27 series battery at Walmart. I have heard all the stuff going around about their warranties. They have 12 month free replacement and no prorate. I got a battery that was manufactured 10/10 and on the front it states 12 months free replacement. I have always had good luck with them.
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/14/10 09:19 PM

All mine are the 27 series and no problems yet.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/14/10 10:15 PM

I run the 29's and no probs in 15 or more yrs
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 11:51 AM

I use them and never had an issue.

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 12:51 PM

Well they quit honoring warranties for awhile there and I guess now they decided to do the 1 year free replacement. I wish it were 2 year but oh well. There is Walamrts everywhere if you have an issue.
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 05:22 PM

I have run the Walmart Yellow batteries for years. No problems, and I like the fact that there is a Walmart close pretty much everywhere you go.

I am thinking I may need to change to Optima for my cranking battery though because the Larger electronics/graphs seem to draw more power and reboot sometimes becuase of low voltage I think.
Posted By: TxJole

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 05:51 PM

I hope so, when I picked a 29 at Wal-Mart in Mabank last week I had no less then 3 people tell me it was a 1 month warranty battery. I agreed knowing I could bring it to a WalMart in Dallas when they were busy and swap it no problem.
Posted By: Mike Halfmann the boatmann

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 08:51 PM

I was in Walmart last week on a Monday to get a replacement battery for my Excursion. It was a Walmart battery with a 36 month free replacement and I've had it only 22 months. 1st thing the guy did was put it on his machine and say that there was nothing wrong. (I knew better than that) Then after charging the battery, he says that it was falty after all. That is when I questioned him on the Marine warrantee. He says,"30 day replacement, only. No warantee after 30 days from date of sale" That is what the company told him to do, as they will not get a replacement unless they do the machine test and the machine says it is falty. The machine test must accompany the battery back to the factory. The Factory is JOHNSON CONTROLS, go figure. Plus my auto battery was made in Mexico. But to give walmart a fair shake, they have 2500 stores coast to coast and border to border, so no matter where you are at, your close to a store, that is unless your in New York City, They don't have one.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 09:09 PM

Mike, I was told the same thing here at our local WalMart. 30 days and no further warranty on marine batteries. There seems to be a lot of confusion and I am not sure if it is based at corporate or at the local store level, but it sure has got a lot of people upset. Seems like the local stores need a definitive policy statement from corporate.

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 09:55 PM

Well i took a pic of the Battery I bought. It was manufactured 10/10. If it goes bad within the 12 months it will be a fight with Walmart.

Posted By: Grant bell

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 10:56 PM

I have run the Walmart Yellow batteries for years. No problems,
Posted By: Mike Halfmann the boatmann

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/15/10 11:12 PM

We've had this blog on Walmart battery warrantee a few months ago, and the same thing crops up. Some stores, 30 days, some stores same old warrantee. It seems that if a company is selling a product, the warrantee should be the same no matter where you're located. If I had not received a warrantee on my battery......oh buggers on them.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/16/10 12:44 AM

I just took in a YLW 29 and the battery said 18 month free replacement and he put it on the machine and he said it checked out fine, just needed a little charge. I told him I do the 3 on 3 off rotation on my charger and he told me he would replace it. It was a 6/09 and he went ahead and did it. I bought 2 interstates at Sam's and they are 24 month free replacement.
Posted By: chuck44l

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/16/10 12:49 AM

I have to believe that if the battery is labeled 1 year free replacment then that is what they will do I have bought my batteries at walmart for years because they are almost unbeatable on the price They sell a great battery Their warranty is excellent If you choose the correct battery you get 1 year free replacement on marine batteries and 3 year free replacement on automotive I have never had an issue if the battery actually says 1 year free replacement thats what they have done Be sure the battery you choose is labeled that way also check the ship date buy as fresh as possible Next Walmarts are plentiful if there is a problem chances are there is a walmart close by.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/17/10 10:41 PM

If it has a sticker on the side like the above pictured they are going to honor it because it would be illegal not to. I don't know about the yellow ones.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/19/10 12:51 AM

I bought one at walmart 27 series..(august 09)
Drove 100 miles round trip from the lake I was at instead of buying one at a local Marina.

Well it took five hours to charge on my onboard charger at the lake ..
when I got home took it to walmart in Mineola..less than two weeks old
they said it "checks good on their "tester.( even said it shows 17 volts on their tester.???? go figgure//)

Told them it was bad , cause it takes twice as long to charge as the other batteries on my boat ..even overnight with no load it always takes a five minute charge, the other two pop right to full charge
even after switching banks on my charger.
again they would not honor the warranty , or the 30 day return walmart policy....

So I bought one from my local boat repair shop..(Same price as walmart)..

Now I own fourteen batteries around my place ..
IN the past 18 months , I have purchased four new batteries..
NOT from Walmart ...
burn me once shame on you , burn me twice, shame on me.
Posted By: 2-stroke

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/19/10 02:18 AM

For years I used wallymarts 12-month battery and always returned it before the warranty ran out. I lost count of how many free batteries I got.

Then in 2007 I stepped up to the 18-month yellow battery, but forgot to take it back after 17 months. It's still working fine.

I'm no engineer or anything, but if you aren't sure your battery will pass the "dead" test, I heard that discharging it below 11 volts will usually pretty much do the trick.

heybaylor's experience is real interesting -- you can't judge a battery good or bad with a simple voltage test, besides which if they measured 17 volts it's time to replace the test equipment. That's the problem with "walmarts automotive", you never know whether the person has any idea what they're doing.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/19/10 04:08 AM

I have the 29's and they have 18 month and I have been pleased.
Posted By: bassman1

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/19/10 01:28 PM

I was refused a warranty claim last August here in Houston because their machine said it was not bad. Stoped in Lufkin that afternoon, they checked it out, machine said it was bad, they gave me a free replacement. Guess it just depends on where you go.

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/19/10 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: bassman1
I was refused a warranty claim last August here in Houston because their machine said it was not bad. Stoped in Lufkin that afternoon, they checked it out, machine said it was bad, they gave me a free replacement. Guess it just depends on where you go.

You are probably right about where you go ..
I have bought batteries from the Mineola store since 96,
never had a warranty claim..thats why I drove to the nearest Walmart when I was out of town ..thought My local store would take care of me if needed..
Well Sir on my first ever warranty claim, I was refused..

( I kinda understand Walmarts get tough attitude because of all the guys taking them in every year when there was nothing wrong just to get a "free battery)

However I was not one of them ..
So like a bad meal at a resturant . I just never go back .
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/20/10 12:59 AM

Good reason for them to quit doing warranties huh?

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/20/10 01:30 AM

business is business..they aint in it to lose $$$..

I know guys that took their one year old batts in every year
got new ones , and bragged about it ..
Guess I got the result of that ??????..

but , I already stated my position, not upset, just now buy batteries elswhere...
Posted By: Chuck H.

Re: Walmart Marine Batteries - 11/22/10 02:23 PM

I was in my local WalMart on Saturday and noticed the 29 series had "18 month free replacement" on the front and it was a brand new battery. I had one replaced back in June and it does not have that on it. I don't know if they deleted the warranty and then changed their minds or what.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum