Texas Fishing Forum

Boat steering question

Posted By: McKinney Machine

Boat steering question - 10/14/10 02:42 PM

I have a 2000 Astro 1850 150 merc. It's has a jack plate and safe T steering which pretty sure is the same as rack and pinion. Well the last couple times I had gone out it has gotten real sloppy on plane . It will start pulling one way and I will slowly turn wheel The other way and it pull that way. No straight line. Like a really bad alignment on a car. Not chime walking though. I have dealt with bad steering cables which make steering extremely stiff but never this
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Boat steering question - 10/14/10 09:52 PM

sounds like the part behind the wheel is worn out, gettin slop in the gears.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Boat steering question - 10/15/10 10:48 AM

Have seen the racks bolts & nuts get loose. They will also act like this when one cable breaks. Safe T, I think, is a rotary system and the plastic gears will wear out or break in the helm. You might want to look under the console to see what you have.
Posted By: Sean902

Re: Boat steering question - 10/16/10 07:23 PM

I have a 2009 nitro z-7 purchased in 2010, so it is very new. First time on the water the boat wants to pull right. On plane, and even at idle. It is Safe-T steering as well. Not sure the problem. I just blame safe t steering. The steering wheel wiggles and it doesn't feel safe at all. Safe t steering is bogus.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Boat steering question - 10/16/10 09:03 PM

sean that is most likely the torque on the engine (they all want to go right due to prop spin). if you think its loose take it to bass pro and get them to fix it under warranty.
Posted By: stick steering

Re: Boat steering question - 10/16/10 11:28 PM

check to see if the torque tab is even there seen many loosen and fall off along the road
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum