Texas Fishing Forum

Transom Saver

Posted By: gonefishin337

Transom Saver - 06/25/10 09:27 PM

I have the Swivl-EZEŽ Pro-Adjustable Head Transom Saver which is the one with the rubber pads on each side that the motor sets into. A guy told me that with the pressure that the weight of the motor puts on those rubber pads on each side of the lower unit, and with the motor bouncing at times while in tow that it will weaken the lower unit where the pads come in contact and eventually punch holes in the lower unit. Said it heppened to him. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??
Posted By: limit 5

Re: Transom Saver - 06/26/10 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: gonefishin337
I have the Swivl-EZEŽ Pro-Adjustable Head Transom Saver which is the one with the rubber pads on each side that the motor sets into. A guy told me that with the pressure that the weight of the motor puts on those rubber pads on each side of the lower unit, and with the motor bouncing at times while in tow that it will weaken the lower unit where the pads come in contact and eventually punch holes in the lower unit. Said it heppened to him. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?? Ran this transom saver for years no problem.

Posted By: Just_Old_Fisherman

Re: Transom Saver - 06/28/10 12:25 PM

I have had a swiveleze 3+ yrs and no problems even towed it from Texas to NC. What did seem to help make the rubber cups last longer was get rubber stoppers that will fit tight in the rubber cups for the bolt/nuts to rest on. May need to cut the rubber stoppers down shorter, but put the pressure more on them than the rubber cups.
Posted By: 2-stroke

Re: Transom Saver - 06/28/10 11:26 PM

Is this some kind of joke? What kind of flimsy motor was this guy using?

I don't believe for one second that it "weakened the lower unit."

I been using the same T/S for a lot of years, that very model.

I guess it's possible, if he let the rubber wear down completely until the metal pins poked through. Can't believe that would happen with no warning -- I'd think it would mark it up pretty bad first.

The guy told you that, I bet he never changed his gear oil or impeller.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Transom Saver - 06/29/10 12:00 AM

Easiest way to solve the problem is to use one of the Lock and Haul type motor stabilizers. No contact with the lower unit and it utilizes the strongest part of your boat, the transom. to stabilize the motor and keep it from bouncing around.
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: Transom Saver - 06/29/10 12:16 AM

I agree it must be a joke. It can't go through the lower unit.
Posted By: BassHunter 69

Re: Transom Saver - 06/30/10 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: crazycanuck
I agree it must be a joke. It can't go through the lower unit.

+1
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Transom Saver - 06/30/10 07:56 PM

Never heard that one before. I use the Lock n Haul.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum