Texas Fishing Forum

old boats

Posted By: Nip-a-diddee

old boats - 08/19/08 11:26 PM

I'm looking at an 1983 ranger 372vs to fish out of in college. Im going to test drive tomorrow. I've been told that the motor runs great and never let them down. It is also in pretty good shape for beening 25 years old. For $3,000 with new trolling motor, 2 fairly new graphs, 115 evinrude serviced throughout the years, trailer tires new.
What is your perspective on buying old boats?

thanks for any advice
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: old boats - 08/19/08 11:29 PM

Get you a compression check on the motor...will be worthwhile...I had almost the same boat once and it fished just fine. Had a 150 Merc on it.
JR

Re: old boats - 08/19/08 11:40 PM

i am having that arranged
Posted By: z NICK

Re: old boats - 08/19/08 11:47 PM

check the transom, and check the compression and take it out for a spin, be sure and hop up on the deck a fish a few mins on the trolling motor see if its ok.

Usually you take it to get a test and if it runs fine YOU pay the mechanic, if not HE pays the mechanic.

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 12:05 AM

we were going to split it
Posted By: Kent Andries

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 10:22 AM

b
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 11:53 AM

We have a 30 year old ski boat that has been owned by a member of the family since the first day my parents brought it home...It's always been garage kept and well cared for...

I would check out the hull, climb under it and look for any type of damage...Check the transom (this can not be stressed enough), check the steering and shift/throttle control cables. Check the floor for soft spots. Definately have it checked out by a mechanic...

Old doesn't mean it's bad, but not everyone takes care of their boat(s) the same.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 04:14 PM

check the nav lights,...and ALL the switches for whatever they are hooked up to run. Make sure all the numbers match, check the hull s/n, the motor s/n and the trailer s/n against the titles.
check around the eye-bolt for cracks and weakness,..jim
Posted By: mavschicks

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 04:38 PM

nothing wrong with a old boat at all i bought me a 82 ranger 3 years ago with a 150 johnston on it. he was asking 2500 for it it needed some work i offerd him 1500 he took it i took it home spent another 2 grand on it and i now have me a vey good bass boat .is it shiny and new? nope, but last time i checked fish do not care if your boat was new or old. just do like all these guys have told ya and if it checks out i would say go for it. it better than 45000 they want for a new one!!

Mavs
Posted By: Manchu

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 05:03 PM

alot of older boats were built like tanks
Posted By: lanefrost300

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 06:40 PM

I fish with a 1973 Ranger and it works perfectly for me...
Posted By: Manchu

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 06:45 PM

I have an 86 Champion 186 Super V with the original 175 Merc Black Max. I'm not afraid to fish it anywhere
Posted By: eddie lane

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 07:23 PM

Nip a did dee:
You are too young to have a lure named after you therefore you must be named after the lure.Cannot remember the manufacter but in the 60's it was a well used topwater bait and very popular. Justn thought you might appreciate a bit of history. All the post give good advice. I fished a Grumman jon boat for 30 years and the last I heard of it it was still floating and being fished out of. Sounds like a good buy.
Posted By: gander

Re: old boats - 08/20/08 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Nip-a-diddee
I'm looking at an 1983 ranger 372vs to fish out of in college. Im going to test drive tomorrow. I've been told that the motor runs great and never let them down. It is also in pretty good shape for beening 25 years old. For $3,000 with new trolling motor, 2 fairly new graphs, 115 evinrude serviced throughout the years, trailer tires new.
What is your perspective on buying old boats?

thanks for any advice
I have an 84 373...I'm 2nd owner ..that would be good boat and motor if was taken care of..my motor is an 83 merc 150...just have it checked out..Ranger makes a good boat plus I can still get parts for mine from the factory....its not new but its a good one

Re: old boats - 08/22/08 12:13 AM

thanks guys
Posted By: monkester

Re: old boats - 08/23/08 12:05 AM

My 1990 Champion fished just great! Just because its old don't discount it out!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum