Texas Fishing Forum

87 Ranger 392 V

Posted By: pine curtain

87 Ranger 392 V - 07/11/08 05:04 PM

Possibly being given one free from uncle. Has a 95 Merc 200. Does anyone have or have had one of these boats?
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/11/08 05:51 PM

good little boats, not the best rough water ride, but fishes really good.

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/11/08 09:45 PM

This boat is 20ft. I maybe wrong on the V. Are the hulls strong?

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/12/08 09:43 AM

i know it's a 20ft'er.. wink

the hulls are strong, but remember it's an older boat. i would NOT put a jack plate on that boat.
it's still reliable, and fishes very good. Just NOT fast at all.

only problem i've ever seen with that boat, is when it's cold and windy out you'll want a rain suit. it will get ya wet.

"just being honest with ya"

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/12/08 07:59 PM

Appreciate the info. It already has a 6'manual jack plate. I thought about putting on of those new Merc props I've seen advertised. Are they any good? Whats the deal w/the jack plate?

I would appreciate the advice. The boat is FREE but I know I need to paint the trailer and put new tires and wheels,new graph, and make sure the live well is operating properly. The more I know now then I can plan and save for the repairs. I wanted to put a hot foot in the boat. What is your opinion? My plan is to keep for several years then sell and get a used 21' Legend or Z9 CDC. It would be that long before the current ones price was right on used market.

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/14/08 09:44 AM

i don't think i'd spend the money on the new Fury for that older engine. A good tempest or trophy will be just fine.
with that 392v you won't be able to run the engine really high. most likely around 4" below pad. the bow is too heavy on that boat to run the motor above that.
nothing wrong with installing a hot foot. i won't have a boat with out one, and a pro-trim behind the wheel.

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/14/08 02:29 PM

How much to install hot foot& tempest? What is your concern with Jack Plate? Uncle told me it could run 65mph,maybe faster with someone knows how to play with it. DO you believe 65 is right? I'm not trying to be fastes on lake, if can do 60-65 I'm fine.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/14/08 02:43 PM

I have the same hull just a little shorter and they are strong. They are also heavy and not designed for speed. 60 - 65 is about right. As far as the jackplate goes I bought mine new with one. I think that Steve is worried about the age of the boat and the condition of the transom. The dealer that set up mine did not seal the top holes so make sure that the mounting holes have all been sealed well. Also, it may be too late now but pull the aluminum trim between the the transom and top cap and seal it and reinstall.

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/14/08 04:25 PM

Thanks for advice.

Re: 87 Ranger 392 V - 07/14/08 07:13 PM

Heard the hull was not able to take extensions on front deck. Would like to make right side a rod locker Do you know anything about that?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum