Texas Fishing Forum

WHAT NOW

Posted By: mikiedon

WHAT NOW - 04/27/08 09:20 PM

TODAY I WAS GIVIN A 1969 18 HP EVINRUDE MOTOR WITH PULL START AND ELECTRIC START.IT HAS NOT RAN IN 4-5 YR'S.HE HAD THE TITLE BUT NEVER CHANGED IT OVER FROM WHOM HE BOUGHT IT FROM,YOU GUESSED IT,HE HAS LOST THE TITLE,HE SAID HE BOUGHT THE RIG FOR THE BOAT AND TRAILER HUNG THE MOTOR IN THE BARN,THAT IS WHERE IT HAS BEEN EVER SINCE.HE DID GIVE ME A LIKE BILL OF SALE SAYING WHERE I GOT THE MOTOR IN HIS HAND WRITTING DATED & SIGNED,NOW CAN I GET IT TITLED WITH THIS,THIS OLD DO I EVEN HAVE TO TITLE IT.OR JUST GIVE IT BACK,PUT IT IN THE SHOP AND GET IT FIXED,OR WHAT NOW.
THANK'S FOR ANY INFO.
Posted By: lakeman

Re: WHAT NOW - 04/27/08 09:29 PM

If you need the motor, get it running and put it on your boat and go fishing, many many people on the lake don;t have thier motors titled even tho you are suppose to,
happy fishing and good luck

Posted By: Steerike1

Re: WHAT NOW - 04/27/08 10:06 PM

Nothing is illegal...unless you get caught!!!
Posted By: 2-stroke

Re: WHAT NOW - 04/27/08 10:48 PM

nearly as I can tell, not having the motor title is only a problem in two cases -
1. if you want to sell it, and
2. if somebody shows up title in hand, your bill of sale will be useless.

before you try to crank it......put a couple ounces tcw-3 oil in the spark plug holes and rotate the motor around to lubricate the cylinders, then turn the flywheel by hand a few times.

use fresh 87-octane fuel mixed 50:1 with tcw-3 oil and champion QL77JC4 plugs gapped at .030

the water pump impeller should be replaced, and I expect the carb will need rebuilding.
Posted By: PGR Mike

Re: WHAT NOW - 04/28/08 01:20 AM

Don't do ANYTHING until you change the water pump assembly, and have the carbs gone through. Plus lube the powerhead as mentioned above.

Posted By: Hank1951

Re: WHAT NOW - 04/28/08 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: mikiedon
TODAY I WAS GIVIN A 1969 18 HP EVINRUDE MOTOR WITH PULL START AND ELECTRIC START.IT HAS NOT RAN IN 4-5 YR'S.HE HAD THE TITLE BUT NEVER CHANGED IT OVER FROM WHOM HE BOUGHT IT FROM,YOU GUESSED IT,HE HAS LOST THE TITLE,HE SAID HE BOUGHT THE RIG FOR THE BOAT AND TRAILER HUNG THE MOTOR IN THE BARN,THAT IS WHERE IT HAS BEEN EVER SINCE.HE DID GIVE ME A LIKE BILL OF SALE SAYING WHERE I GOT THE MOTOR IN HIS HAND WRITTING DATED & SIGNED,NOW CAN I GET IT TITLED WITH THIS,THIS OLD DO I EVEN HAVE TO TITLE IT.OR JUST GIVE IT BACK,PUT IT IN THE SHOP AND GET IT FIXED,OR WHAT NOW.
THANK'S FOR ANY INFO.
mikiedon, I would not even worry about a title on a motor that old!! If it was a late, late model, I'd be more interested in titling it, but that old, I would not fool with it!! Just do what was mentioned above before you even try to light it off! Those old 18 hp motors are good ones too, you lucked out by that one free, almost as lucky as I was getting a super nice bass boat & trailer given to me!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum