Texas Fishing Forum

Cracked block on 40 HP Merc

Posted By: Mudshark

Cracked block on 40 HP Merc - 04/26/08 10:22 PM

I took the stump magnet in for a tune up. The mechanic said it had a cracked block. He said it might run like this for years or die the next time I take it out. What are my options here? Should I try and scavenge old motors and get a functional unit? Anyone have an old 40HP merc laying around they need to get out of the yard? I am thinking of doing the Johnny Cash on this one and build it one piece at a time so it doesn't cost me a dime>>>>LOL I know that will not be happening. I could really use the top half of an old Merc of anyone has one lying around though. Where kind I find old used motors or parts for cheap?
Posted By: mikiedon

Re: Cracked block on 40 HP Merc - 04/27/08 01:35 AM

bud there is a boat for sale on craig's list,i remember a blue bass boat with a 40 hp. merc motor,now the point is, he had another 40 hp motor to go with it for parts,you might be able to get just the part's motor by it self,it was in the dallas/ft.worth section.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Cracked block on 40 HP Merc - 04/27/08 04:01 AM

Mudshark,

Do some research. I have a older 40Hp laying around. Block is good, lower unit is good the head gasket was shot I think I even have the head gasket. If they will interchange....PM Me

Re: Cracked block on 40 HP Merc - 04/27/08 04:45 PM

Thanks Mike..I will look for that

Re: Cracked block on 40 HP Merc - 04/28/08 12:38 AM

Mike..I looked but cannot find the add on Craig's list you were talking about. I kind of feel stupi but can you point me in the right direction?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum