Texas Fishing Forum

Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start

Posted By: Snug

Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/22/24 02:40 PM

I purchased an 07 Nitro 591 with Mercury 150 Optimax. I put it in storage and treated about a gallon of fuel that remained in the tank. Pulled it out of storage to get it ready. Batteries on charge, tried and it’ll spin over but won’t start. Changed plugs, fuel filter and added sea foam to to the 16 gallons. Charged the battery again and again, still cranks but won’t start. I get an old fuel smell. I’m getting spark, fuses are all good.
I’ve read the battery needs to be perfect for these to start.
Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/22/24 03:10 PM

Do you hear fuel pump running, I would pull kill switch and rehook up. pm if have any question

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/22/24 03:47 PM

Pulled the kill switch and reset it and still nothing. I can hear the pump kick on.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/22/24 05:32 PM

Two strokes are pretty simple machines, fuel/spark/compression

Easiest way to test which direction is to open the butterfly on the intake and give it a good squirt of starting fluid. If it fires, you know it's fuel delivery, if it doesn't then you know it's not getting spark.

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/22/24 07:44 PM

Weak battery was the culprit. It would charge, just not enough to get it over the top when cranking. All is well now. Thanks
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/23/24 02:57 AM

Good to hear!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/26/24 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snug
Weak battery was the culprit. It would charge, just not enough to get it over the top when cranking. All is well now. Thanks

Optimax's need a strong battery. 1000 CCA minimum.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Mercury 150 Oprimax won’t start - 03/27/24 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Originally Posted by Snug

Optimax's need a strong battery. 1000 CCA minimum.

Yeah, they need a good one that’s for sure. Bigger center consoles run 2 of that size and that doesn’t include the 3 TM batteries under the console. Not quite sure if bass boats run two batteries or not, might be a bay boat only design out of an abundance of caution.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum