Texas Fishing Forum

HPDI

Posted By: needmofish

HPDI - 01/05/23 10:50 PM

I was out fishing todat and motor started right up and i ran it about a mile. Couple hours latter it started right up and i moved about a half mile. Went to move again and nothing , check all connection and everthing was tight and livewell pumps worked . Started trolling back and went about 15 minures and tried and it started. Went to boatramp and it started 3 times . Fished for 30 minutes and then nothing. Loaded it up and got home and it started 4 times and then nothing again. What do you think switch ?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: HPDI - 01/05/23 10:56 PM

I would think ignition or neutral safety switch would be the first places i would look.

Re: HPDI - 01/06/23 12:25 AM

Now that i got some mire time and tools im go over all the battery connectors and then move to them two . Thanks
Posted By: hopalong

Re: HPDI - 01/08/23 02:10 PM

sounds like maybe a ground problem, clean connection and make sure it is tight, no wing nuts.

next would be what chris recommended.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: HPDI - 01/08/23 08:59 PM

Sounds like it could be vapor lock. My 250 HPDI did it, especially in summer..
To remedy: tilt motor to almost max, open gas caps to vent, wait couple of minutes,
tilt down, pump bulb. start. Good luck.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: HPDI - 01/09/23 12:01 AM

My 2006 250 HPDI just started doing this last Sunday. Did it one time all day. Very weird
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: HPDI - 01/09/23 10:01 AM

The neutral safety switch if getting all jicky, the engine will not even crank over. Now I think the first thing, when this happens, does the motor crank but just doesn't fire up? I want to make sure we all understand what you have going on here. Someone here can probably help you with this info.

Now if it doesn't crank over, I would first move the shifter from reverse to forward and back to neutral. Then see if it cranks over.

Now if it cranks but doesn't fire up, I would pull the kill cord and put back in place a few times and then see if she will fire up.

These intermittent issues like this can be one huge problem to figure out. The fixing it is never hard, you just have to find what is causing the problem.

Re: HPDI - 01/09/23 10:26 PM

I think i have found the problem , changed the fuse that goes to the starter and it has not missed a start yet. The fuse i took out look good but when i put the new one in it hit ever time. Taking it out tomorrow so we shall see.

Re: HPDI - 01/09/23 10:28 PM

It would not even turn over, dead to the world no click or nothing .
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: HPDI - 01/10/23 11:47 AM

Then I would focus on the neutral safety switch to start. Jiggle the shifter while holding the key in the start position. Then if nothing I would try moving the shifter to reverse, see if it doesn't try to crank over.

I guess everything else is working fine when this happens? T-N-T , guages, just the engine won't crank over?

Most common issue is the neutral safety switch if all this above is correct. By jiggling the shifter while holding the key in the start position may get the switch to clear, but if not then while holding the key in the start position try taking the shifter into reverse. Now if the engine does start to crank over, bring the shifter immediately back to neutral. Nothing Then try the same, just while moving the shifter to forward.

Let's see if this doesn't make her crank over.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: HPDI - 01/10/23 04:02 PM

If like I can check it out for you before you just start parts changing

Re: HPDI - 01/12/23 07:06 PM

Well it was not the fuse, took it out and it did it again. Took the cowling off and was messing with the fuses and hit the key switch harness and it fired right up. Put it on the trailer and i could make it start and not start by wiggling the harness.. Thanks ever one for the help, now to take it apart and clean it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum