Texas Fishing Forum

Cracked midsection.

Posted By: crankbait745

Cracked midsection. - 12/10/22 01:23 AM

Buddy was trying to put on a new lower unit. While taking off the old one he cracked the midsection. Is he screwed or is there some way to fix this. Thanks for any info

Attached picture IMG_1440.jpg
Posted By: CADD

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/10/22 01:55 AM

I'd say it could be fixed, but it would take a good welder familiar with welding cast aluminum (tig) to do it. To save money he could do the work after the welding and the paint
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/10/22 01:12 PM

That would be really tough to weld successfully, if you try it don’t break it the rest of the way off and do it while bolted up. That stuff will move quite a bit as the heat sets in.

I’d find a salvage one myself
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/10/22 02:03 PM

JB Weld might work.
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/11/22 04:25 AM

Crankbait

It can be welded. Not at all a problem really. If I was not all the way straight west of you on the other coast of Texas, man I would be glad to weld it for you guys. But to answer your question, you can weld up that and end up with something that you would have to wreck it to break it again.

Trick to make good welds on any of the aluminum in our outboards is to use really good welding equipment and the welding products. I have literally welded the entire skeg back on the bottom of the gearcase bullet, on full surface drive running setups, that I have been told you can't do. I got through with those they ran better than the oem.

I have welded up around the motor mounts when they got all beat out and was told you can't do that either, so this area of the midsection is a can do repair. Heck, I have welded on the blocks and heads too. I know I ain't the only one that has either, so you can fix this, darn site cheaper than new, you can bet on that...

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/11/22 09:53 AM

Thanks guys, it is good to own that it is fixable.
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/12/22 11:43 AM

I didn't mention but you can fix that without taking the midsection apart also. I would drop the lower unit and repair it from there. That can save some money and time there too.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/12/22 04:31 PM

We have one PM me
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/14/22 11:25 PM

I've got a used can if he wants one, or take it to Josh at Steve's Custom Props, he'll fix ya up welding it.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/16/22 02:43 PM

You get your exhaust housing fix
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/16/22 04:16 PM

what engine is it, I have a 95 200 the head went south on

Re: Cracked midsection. - 12/17/22 12:10 AM

Thanks everyone for the advise and kind offers. He got it welded and it looks good as new. He cracked it as he was putting on a new lower unit so he should be good to go for a while.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum