Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota Terrova Issue?

Posted By: texcajun

Minn Kota Terrova Issue? - 07/05/22 12:15 PM

Hey guys, got a question about my Terrova. My spot lock recently quit and I had to have it repaired. It’s working now, but while checking it out I noticed that my prop doesn’t start spinning until I hit 4 to 4.5. This seems a little high. A buddy of mine says his starts spinning at 2 to 2.5 on the throttle scale. I need to try to measure the current as I throttle up, but was hoping some of you might have a suggestion. This TM is only 4 years old and doesn’t see a huge workload as a general rule.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Minn Kota Terrova Issue? - 07/10/22 12:26 PM

sounds like you need to take it back to who fixed the spot lock, I run mine on 21/2 to 3 all the time.
Posted By: Wildone

Re: Minn Kota Terrova Issue? - 07/14/22 06:01 PM

I installed a brand new Terrova on my boat in April. Last time out I spent several hrs on spot lock then all of a sudden it quit.
Powered down and back on and now if I put my speed above 5 it shuts down and on slower speeds the motor will not turn left or right.
Spot lock still works but if the motor ever goes above 5 it shuts down. Not popping fuses or tripping breakers.

I understand this motor is under warranty but I've only used this motor 4 TIMES!
Anyways - I spoke with an authorized repair shop and I will have to take my boat in for them to test. Not the motor - the boat, and they have a bunch in front of me.

Re: Minn Kota Terrova Issue? - 07/17/22 04:04 AM

After doing more research I decided to crack open my trolling. Turns out I had water/corrosion in the unit and that was the cause. I've cleaned it all up, ordered all the parts and am in the process of putting it all back together.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Minn Kota Terrova Issue? - 07/18/22 03:31 PM

For those that care about follow up, the water and subsequent corrosion inside my trolling motor likely caused my control board to go bad. I had that replaced at a local MINN KOTA repair facility. Nealry $400. This cured my motor error, remote control, and spot lock abilities. I did not put it back in the water since I got it back from the repair shop. But I eventually got around to testing it and found that I couldn't make the prop move until I got to 4 on the controller, normally it would start the prop spinning at .5 or 1. I contacted the repair shop and he said there was likely water intrusion in the motor and that I should bring it back in.

I researched tearing down the motor myself and found that indeed, there was water and corrosion in it. Knowing it would like run another $400~500 to repair again, I just decided to do it myself. I wound up wire brushing all of the corrosion out, cleaning up the brush plate, stator, and redoing all of the seals. She starts turning at .5 now and works like normal.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum