Texas Fishing Forum

Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors

Posted By: MathGeek

Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/15/22 12:31 PM

What brand do you trust?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/15/22 04:23 PM

My experience with mercs has been outstanding. My Yamahas have all been solid. The few johnrudes were at best finicky.

I just replaced my 90 on my scooter with 4,500 hours of mud sucking hard life. It was still running ok just finally gotten tired.

Now to qualify never owned a DFI or four stroke. I couldn’t run either one, they’d sink my sled.

From 1984 to 2002 I had a new champ. Average hours at end of the year was 500-600. All mercs but two Yamahas and one evinrude. I hated that blue motor.

If you want to see a fleet of abused motors come see what the crab and oyster run. Those guys are on the water six days a week 10-12 hours a day. They never shut their engines off. It’s 50/50 Yamaha and Zukes.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/15/22 06:00 PM

Don't know how big MathGeek's engine is, but the boat doesn't look too big. All the Mercs 40 HP and under are made by Tohatsu, anyway. IslandJim

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/16/22 04:36 AM

I will assure you on the list of potential next motor a Honda would not be anywhere on it.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/16/22 01:22 PM

New Tohatsus 60hp and above are now manufactured by Honda rebranded as Tohatsu. I have owned Tohatsu motors and they are bulletproof little motors, mine being the 2 stroke versions. As their name translates they are very "Dependable". Honda makes good stuff now doubt, with that being said my dad owned a Honda outboard and we both were not impressed with its power, we traded it out for Suzuki and I for one am very impressed with it.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/18/22 02:52 PM

cheers I dont really care for his rednek logic.I have a 2000 Merc 200efi stil going strong gotta maintain ANYTHING. As for his honda car/ amerika vehicle [censored], I know hondas are dependable . thirty yrs ago??? . BTW redneck logic, my 2002 f150 has 340K miles on it ,.Several batteries , 2 radiators, one water pump. The vave covers have never been OFF. made in USA

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/18/22 05:28 PM

IF....big IF they were reliable and sturdy, every crab and oyster boat in the marina would have one hung on it.

There are NONE. Not one Case closed.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/29/22 09:11 PM

Guys a tard
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/29/22 11:29 PM

I watched his video and I don't agree with him one bit. If he can show me in the Bible where it says something named after a greek god shouldn't be used by a Christian I'd buy in. He can probably come up with something that he can twist to cover what he is saying but with me that ain't going to get it done.
On the flip side I've run Mercury motors and had zero issues with them, I've had three. I'm just now getting my first Yamaha and the main reason I'm running a Yamaha is I went to the gulf coast recently on a guided fishing trip @ Dauphin Island, Alabama and there were 100's and maybe 1000's of boats down there and Mercurys were almost non existent, probably 98% Yamaha and the rest Suzuki and Honda. I think I saw one boat wearing a Mercury. That told me a lot about dependability.

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/30/22 12:53 PM

It’s going to be a great day in Seadrift.
The marina’s parking lot will be jammed up.

Here’s how it is going to add up.
A good number of mercs running on the cat hulls. Chris’s in Aransas Pass rigs a ton on Haynies and Shoalwaters so a solid 25% Still a lot of hold out johnrudes running give them 15%. The rest are a Yamaha and Zuke split.

See a rare Tohatsu/Nissan Honda? Never.

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 04/30/22 01:11 PM

Before my current Yamaha jet I ran a 90 merc on my tunnel skiff. I put 2,500 hours on it, I saw the guy I sold it to a year ago. The boats falling apart but he was looking for a hull to rig the motor on.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/05/22 12:49 PM

but after all what does Pat Goff know, he has only been in the business and fishing all his young life. Sage advice if you know squat about boats and motors.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/05/22 01:22 PM

troll
Posted By: champ 206

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/06/22 08:37 PM

As with all things boats and engines are only as good as the care you give them. I have 2001 250proxb, looks as good as new and runs like a spotted [censored] ape. woot
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/06/22 09:11 PM

Mercury makes a good product at a much lower selling point (at least as far as I remember), than the competitors. I was bummed to see the Optimax motors go, am a much bigger fan of two stroke motors and that’s what I liked about evinrudes and mercs until everything got pulled from the market. That being said, there are still a ton of Optimax motors on the water and man is the maintenance on them a breeze! No oil changes, a solid hole shot, just keep the oil reservoir full and life is pretty easy. Another thing I’ll say is because they’re smart and sell the Mercury products under the quicksilver label, OE engine oil, DFI oil, and lower unit oil is readily available for them as well.

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/06/22 11:04 PM

You can still buy 2 strokes, just gotta go to Mexico to get one.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/07/22 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
You can still buy 2 strokes, just gotta go to Mexico to get one.

I appreciate the info, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, car motors were never made to be flipped on their side and run at high rpm’s like that.

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/07/22 12:20 PM

I was just making the observation that Mercury and Yamaha still build two strokes, they made the decision to not make them available for sale here.

I was going to get a 90 Yamaha last year, I can't run a four stroke, it would sink my scooter. They have all the two stroke Yamaha and Mercury (Mariner) you want. And way less money. Like half.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/08/22 08:53 PM

Perhaps math Geek would be more comfortable living in Japan. grin I currently own both Mercury and Yamaha, both 2015 year models, I cant tell a bit of difference in them.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/08/22 11:51 PM

I've had two Evinrude's that were awful. I ordered and purchased my 89 Champion 184 with a Mercury 175. It's still running great.
Sure you have a chance to purchase a lemon just like any other boat or vehicle. Just my 2 cents!
Posted By: pop r

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/08/22 11:53 PM

I've had two Evinrude's that were awful. I ordered and purchased my 89 Champion 184 with a Mercury 175. It's still running great.
Sure you have a chance to purchase a lemon just like any other boat or vehicle. Just my 2 cents!

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/09/22 01:58 AM

Watch a 100 boat tournament launch out sometimes. The merc and yamaha guys just bump the boats off the trailers and drive off. The johnrude guys always waited until the were for sure started up before they took off.
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Why I Don't Buy Mercury Motors - 05/27/22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Watch a 100 boat tournament launch out sometimes. The merc and yamaha guys just bump the boats off the trailers and drive off. The johnrude guys always waited until the were for sure started up before they took off.

I can attest to this as I run a 1997 225 Evinrude Vindicator. I firmly believe that these motors are female because it's a fickle little bitch. Would love to re-power someday soon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum