Texas Fishing Forum

I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn.

Posted By: Coolarrow

I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/24/22 01:47 AM

Boy I did it good! Been fishing Rayburn all my life and have never had an impact like I did Saturday. I was running a area I run all the time. I have never seen this stump. Hit it just off dead center on the passenger side. The motor is fine but the hull… not so much. I’ll be calling my insurance man tomorrow. Then trying to find out where to take it. Wish me luck. [Linked Image]

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/24/22 01:50 AM

By the way I’m just grateful I was close to the ramp and was able to get it loaded.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/24/22 01:51 AM

ouch
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/24/22 02:26 AM

Whacked it good you did.

Mike Gilley in Pasadena is exceptional for your repair.
Posted By: gray7340

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 03:38 AM

Toledo Fiberglass did a good job on my boat, and have stood behind there repair
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 03:45 AM

Sorry that happened to you. Glad you are ok. Can you tell the rest of us about where you hit the stump....the general area we need to be careful?

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 12:34 PM

I was in Stanley creek. There are a million stumps! I was running a lane I have run for over 8 years and I have never seen it. No telling how many times I missed it by inches. If it would have been a single in the middle of a lane I would have posted it.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 12:38 PM

Does the crack go through the whole length?

May be a total !

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 02:00 PM

No only about 5’ long. Going to Toledo Fiberglass Thursday for an estimate. We will see.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 08:58 PM

There used to be a billboard crossing the bridge over Toldeo Bend
Toledo Fiberglass" You smash 'em, we glass em" they do excellent work.
Posted By: JC1965

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/25/22 10:12 PM

WOW, major fear of mine is doing that....I hope it turns out okay and not cost too much.
Posted By: rb7764

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/28/22 08:49 PM

Most important thing is that you are safe. Glad no one was injured.

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/29/22 05:33 AM

Well the boat can be fixed and the insurance will cover it! Just going to be down for a while. 👍
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/29/22 02:45 PM

Toledo Fiberglass is an excellent choice, stand behind their work. If they are too backed up, we have had excellent luck with the Hawthorne brothers at Marine Clean in Nacogdoches. Other than blue printing our drag boat bottoms, they are doing all of our fiberglass work now and we've been pleased.

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/31/22 01:15 PM

Going to call them this morning.. thanks
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 01/31/22 01:55 PM

You should consider doing a Gator Hull. I hit one at Fork about the same way. Mike, at Lake Fork Fiberglass, was able to do one on my boat, and the insurance paid for it. Some thing about they guarantee hull from now on, so insurance doesn't have to cover hull damage. It's been about a year, and I have run over some pretty knarly stuff, not even a scratch. Very happy so far.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: I hit a underwater stump on Sam Rayburn. - 02/07/22 04:38 AM

I put a hole in my hull at Welsh three years ago. Went to Toledo Fiberglass and had a Gorilla hull put on. Same thing as a Gator hull. I took my boat to Mike at Lake Fork Fiberglass and at first look he said the "hole" was minor and only needed fixing. Took it to another shop and they took some pictures of the hull. Damage was under the bunk on the passenger side. Mike did not check this. Turns out it was a much bigger leak. Decided to take it to Toledo fiberglass to have a "Gorilla" hull put on. It's great! Have hit several stumps since this we put on. No problems. Life time, transferable (of boat) warrantee.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum