Texas Fishing Forum

Oil bath hub leaking

Posted By: Stump jumper

Oil bath hub leaking - 12/17/21 01:59 PM

I just noticed that I have a leak on my brake axle. Just started after sitting for 2 months. Problem is the fill plugs on my brake axle are frozen. I have soaked in penetrating oil and won't budge. I have been considering replacing the bearing covers with the ones that have the clear cap with the rubber plug. I have talked to UFB and they seem to be OK with this. Does anyone run them and if so any problems? I have a trailer shop 2 miles away and had planned to take it too them to extract the plugs but not sure about driving it with oil leaking. Leak is at the bearing cap. Another option is to pull the tire on that axle and take it to the shop.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Oil bath hub leaking - 12/17/21 05:32 PM

Mine leaked oil and then water got in the hubs when I submerged the trailer. But enough oil was left in the hub I was able to take it to a shop.

Re: Oil bath hub leaking - 12/17/21 06:24 PM

I turned the wheel 180 degrees and leak is much smaller. Looks like will have no problem driving 2 miles to the shop. Seems strange that it just started after sitting. After last trip there was no sign of a leak.

Re: Oil bath hub leaking - 12/23/21 01:05 PM

I am going to try using a slightly larger torx bit on the plugs and see if I can break them free.

Re: Oil bath hub leaking - 01/16/22 05:11 PM

After doing some research and trying the torx and a screw head extractor I decided to go with the front fill bearing protectors. The plugs are SS and neither one would get enough bite. I called the Dexter marine plant. They said the front fill ones would work but I could not use Dexters because they are threaded. They said the Kodiaks would be fine. My only concern with front fill is getting oil to the rear bearing. I filled them several times with hub oil and let it sit with the trailer jacked up. [Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum