Texas Fishing Forum

Used Boats Question

Posted By: aclaimsman

Used Boats Question - 10/16/21 07:13 PM

I have fished out of aluminum boats for most of my life (crappie) and have decided to look for a fiberglass rig. I am about to retire and don't want to spend a fortune on a boat and have limited funds (10Kish). I am looking at late 80's to early 90's bass boats and need some opinions what brand to look for and ones to stay away from as well as engines.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Used Boats Question - 10/16/21 11:26 PM

Not to be a Debbie Downer but at that price point and age about all $10k will get you is someone else’s problem. Can get a much newer tin rig at that price point. Another option is figure how much more you make vs. retirement income. Put it aside and work a few more months to add to the budget.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Used Boats Question - 10/17/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Not to be a Debbie Downer but at that price point and age about all $10k will get you is someone else’s problem. Can get a much newer tin rig at that price point. Another option is figure how much more you make vs. retirement income. Put it aside and work a few more months to add to the budget.

Totally agree, the used boat market is insane. You can find a nice boat, but it’s going to be one of those small town, get lucky kind of deal. Check the transom of any fiberglass boat, older boats tend to rot the transom, if not maintained.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Used Boats Question - 10/17/21 03:41 AM

There are some good ones out there but like said above they are hard to find. If your not in a hurry just look and keep saving as you go. I found a super deal several years ago on the boat I have now. It’s a 1996 Cajun that was well maintained one owner and I’ve took extreme care of it. My neighbor just bought a 06 Ranger for 10k, need graphs but looks and runs good. Educate yourself look at the NADA values of the ones you like, that way you can make a good choice and know what to pay. As far as brands, that’s the old Ford verses Chevy deal. I like Evinrude Johnson and Yamaha. But that’s me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum