Texas Fishing Forum

1994 Nitro w/115 Merc Tracker

Posted By: clinton_c

1994 Nitro w/115 Merc Tracker - 09/08/21 01:52 PM

Looking at a used boat this weekend that I will be lake testing. Asking Price is 5k with a Motorguide 82 lb thrust with spot lock, Hummingbird Helix 5 and 2 Older Garmins. Motor recently rebuilt. I am thinking that it is a pretty good deal with all the extras. Any thoughts and opinions would be very helpful.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: 1994 Nitro w/115 Merc Tracker - 09/08/21 06:39 PM

Not in habit of ever calling anyone's baby ugly.
Just remember that vintage Nitro was the bottom of the budget. Transom, floors, stringers are all plywood. You'll want to carefully inspect for water intrusion. You can use a plastic handled screw driver to tap around the transom, floors and bottom, it should give you a nice sounding tap, if you hear thud, that's not good.

WHO rebuilt the motor? There are some bonafide pirates doing cheap and dirty rebuilds. Take the motor cover off, and look for orange pooky in places where gaskets should be. Walk away if you see that.

And that 2+4 motor has its own set of quirks, it idles on two cylinders, then at 1,800 rpms, it kicks the other two into action. They require exact link and sync or they cause issues.

But I assure you, that exact same advice would be given regardless of brand.
Posted By: clinton_c

Re: 1994 Nitro w/115 Merc Tracker - 09/08/21 08:35 PM

Thank you sir. A lot of that is what I have read online as well so I do have checklist going of things I want to check out.
Posted By: TexasTNT

Re: 1994 Nitro w/115 Merc Tracker - 10/01/21 07:46 PM

As for the motor, some shops will still warranty the work I would think so matter the owner. Worse case scenario, if you're not comfortable with what you see, may they'd let you take it another shop and have them check it out. May cost a couple of dollars, but worth it for piece of mind. Good luck with the purchase!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum