Texas Fishing Forum

Gasket maker on trim motor housing?

Posted By: TexasTNT

Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/15/21 01:29 AM

So I got a new motor for my t/t. It's on a 90hp mariner and looks like the pic. When I put it all back together and started running it through to bleed it, it started leaking out one of the corners through the bolt. I tightened it down some more, but it kept coming. I made sure the gasket was in there correctly and didn't move.

Question is, can I use an automotive gasket maker along with the rubber seal to help this? I've done the gasket maker on trucks, but wasn't sure what the expert's opinion was on the t/t motor. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Costa Plente

Re: Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/15/21 12:55 PM

Not a expert but that's what I would do. I would not use a lot on it and I think that I would remove the gasket and put some under it, then put it back in and then put a small amount on top of it and tighten it down. Make sure you let the gasket material to set up prior to adding the fluid.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/15/21 04:26 PM

no need oring gasket
Posted By: TexasTNT

Re: Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/15/21 09:15 PM

Black RTV worked like a champ. I was a little worried when I heard air coming out going through the bleed cycle, but I didn't have the manual relief all the way in. New motor sounds so much better and I'm not embarrassed trimming it at the docks. LOL

Thanks for the info y'all!
Posted By: daman

Re: Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/15/21 11:21 PM

You either going be left stranded with a trim motor that won’t trim up ..Or a burnt up trim motor from water getting in it ..no need for any kind of sealer
Posted By: rb7764

Re: Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/16/21 08:16 PM

TNT - daman is right. If you had to pookey an o-ring, something is wrong. O-ring is kinked, too small, too big, nicked, poor machining on actual part, etc.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Gasket maker on trim motor housing? - 06/17/21 03:20 PM

Housing could have small crack, fitting face damaged, bad o ring, could be trash on mating surfaces. Maybe it will work...but its the wrong application for both and it likely wont fail at an opportune time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum