Texas Fishing Forum

@ marine mechanics / dealers

Posted By: Dylan C.

@ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/26/21 12:22 AM

I graduated HS in the spring of 2020 and have recently considered trying to obtain a marine mechanic certification. However the number of institutes seems quite limited and dispersed. My question is, is an institute certification required/recommended or am I better off looking for an entry position and building experience.

Also have interest in hull maintenance/ repair , and sales.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/27/21 12:07 PM

I'd talk to a local marine mechanic and see what they say. I saw a well respected owner advertising on the web for a mechanic. He was looking for an experienced mechanic but was willing to hire the right person and invest in their training and certification... Dan
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/27/21 01:04 PM

Talk to some dealers. I know the dealer I worked for paid for my training at Mercury Marine all the way through Master Certification. But this was back in the mid 70's.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/27/21 02:49 PM

PM me

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/27/21 06:13 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/27/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by boatman025
PM me

PM sent !
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 04/30/21 02:54 PM

two ways to do it.

MMI (marine mechanics institute) school. long school and worth it for a young guy starting out.

or... apply at local dealers and get a job starting out as a helper and work your way up.
certification (depending on brand) can take awhile.
Posted By: OPTI

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 05/01/21 03:32 AM

I got all the Mercury certificates you will ever need I will sell ya. LOL Just playin. No but really you need to get your foot in the door and talk with a factory dealer thats only way to be able to go to any schools. Good luck.....OPTI
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: @ marine mechanics / dealers - 05/04/21 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OPTI
I got all the Mercury certificates you will ever need I will sell ya. LOL Just playin. No but really you need to get your foot in the door and talk with a factory dealer thats only way to be able to go to any schools. Good luck.....OPTI

Wisdom from one of the best at that game.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum