Texas Fishing Forum

Pro XS died and wont restart

Posted By: Lubbockangler

Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 03:12 PM

I need help trying to diagnose a problem. our marine shops out here are back up, so I am hanging on to the boat until they can get it in. In the meantime, maybe I can find something.

2014 Pro XS 250.....I've had zero problems with. I was fishing yesterday and was getting ready to move spots. I started the motor up (started the same as normal) and put it in gear and when I put it in gear it died suddenly and I cant get it back started.

1. its the not the kill switch
2. Primer bulb is hard and primed.
3. it didnt starve for fuel......meaning it died suddenly
4. plenty of battery juice
5. when I turn on the ignition I can hear the fuel pump come on

thats where I stop. I took the hood off and cant seem to find anything obvious where something might have come disconnected.

any other ideas where to look?
Posted By: SSutton

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 04:00 PM

Maybe a fuse in the ignition relay? I'd check all of your fuses. Not sure where they are located on a Mercury.

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 04:05 PM

the fuses were actually my next stop....
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 06:34 PM

So it’s turning over fine?

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 11:32 PM

Yes it is.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 11:34 PM

Any beeps/lights when you turn on the key?

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/07/21 11:56 PM

Everything is completely normal. I also checked to make sure the kill switch was working properly and it is. I have found a blown fuse, so I’ll replace and hopefully that fixes it.

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/08/21 12:27 AM

Put the new fuse in and cranked it wouldn’t start. Pulled the fuse and the new one is blown

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/08/21 12:33 AM

I found that is the fuse for the ignition coil circuit...now I don’t know where to look.
Posted By: Costa Plente

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/08/21 01:27 PM

A friend had the same problem that you are having and it was one bad power pac. Check youtube there should be a video on how to trouble shoot it. He did his and saved alot of money.

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/08/21 04:23 PM

are you talking about a coil pack? from I have found about people replacing ignition coils, they are hooking up spark plug testers while their engine is running, and then they are able to see if its a bad coil. I cant get mine running, So I'm wondering if that eliminates that issue since it wont start at all. I had a mechanic tell me it could be shorted ignition module, shorted coil, or just a shorted wire on the circuit. all of that stuff gets above my pay grade unfortunately.
Posted By: Costa Plente

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/08/21 09:12 PM

I think that you can do a check even if the motor doesn't start and run. Give me a call at 254-216-2252.
Posted By: BPbassp

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/10/21 11:04 PM

Inspect your coils closely, mine did the same thing prior to a bass champs tourney. Found one coil had cracked and was oozing a tar looking substance. Bought online and was back in business .Otherwise you can disconnect all coils and reconnect one at a time until fuse blows. I believe you can also test each coil with an ohm meter to find the odd ball. You can google the ohm values on a good coil.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/10/21 11:43 PM

Easiest way to test the ignition coils is with a light spark plug tester. YouTube will show you how.

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/12/21 01:09 PM

BPbassp,

coils look fine. so even if it wont start, you think I could disconnect them all and still plug one in at a time and still blow if a coil is bad?

Tin Star Cajun,

Ive seen some videos check the spark plugs, but all of them have their motor started and running while they are doing this.....mine wont start at all.

also, I havent been able to find ohm values on the coils. Might be +/- 10% which is 900-1100, thats the only thing i've found.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/12/21 04:01 PM

This has to be something simple, reseat the main harness connection. It's like your key on hot isn't powering ignition. When you turn key to on but not to start do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/13/21 02:55 AM

Yes
Posted By: BPbassp

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/18/21 02:15 AM

Lubbock,

Sorry for the delayed response haven’t been on much lately. You should be able to connect 1 coil at a time and give it a quick crank to see if fuse blows. You can also put a spark tester on the one coil that is connected to verify that you have a spark. Once the fuse blows you should have the culprit , just make sure you test all six sometimes more than one coil can go down a time.

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/22/21 01:32 PM

thats exactly what it was. my next step was to connect one at a time. #6 was bad. Luckily I ordered a coil last week and it arrived monday. The tech found the bad coil, and I ran the part to him. Was up and going fast.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Pro XS died and wont restart - 04/30/21 02:58 PM

you have a bad coil. just happened to one recently.

another known issue is the crank postion sensor.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum