Texas Fishing Forum

Oil injection vs Premix

Posted By: ccabal

Oil injection vs Premix - 04/05/21 05:03 AM

Hi guys, recently bought a boat with a 2005 Mercury 90hp outboard. On my previous boat, a mechanic suggested I remove the oil injection system and pre-mix instead because the oil injection system can fail. So I am wondering if I should do this again... I'd rather not have to...
Do a lot of people do this? Is there a way to test your system periodically to prevent a catastrophic failure?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Oil injection vs Premix - 04/05/21 11:56 AM

Yup, like anything mechanical the oil injection can fail but the chances of accidently putting in fuel without premixing are much greater. Leave it be and find a new mechanic.
Posted By: AGSWON

Re: Oil injection vs Premix - 04/06/21 02:15 AM

I’m still running a 28 year old boat with the VRO pump still in it. I just change them out every 300 hours whether it needs it or not.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Oil injection vs Premix - 04/06/21 02:34 AM

Yeah just leave it alone. The main culprits for that were some years of the omc vro fuel pumps and a few yamaha units used to have plastic gear that would swell and sieze. One time forgetting to mix and your done.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Oil injection vs Premix - 04/06/21 12:46 PM

When I sold my 96 Wellcraft with its 96 Johnson 130, I was so tired of oil pump problems, I just went to premix. The 2004 Lund I bought had a 2016 Yamaha 4 stroke 150 pushing it. No more oilers for me.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Oil injection vs Premix - 04/06/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ccabal
Hi guys, recently bought a boat with a 2005 Mercury 90hp outboard. On my previous boat, a mechanic suggested I remove the oil injection system and pre-mix instead because the oil injection system can fail. So I am wondering if I should do this again... I'd rather not have to...
Do a lot of people do this? Is there a way to test your system periodically to prevent a catastrophic failure?

Did your mechanic tell you that most if not all oil injection systems have a safe guard? Your motor will not let you get above about 2000 rpm and will get you back to shore normally with no damage. Been there done that!!!
Posted By: TLW

Re: Oil injection vs Premix - 04/06/21 05:39 PM

someone thats has flawless operation of something might tell one person but someone that has a failure will tell twenty.................................. jmo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum