Texas Fishing Forum

How shallow can I go?

Posted By: BAR

How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 01:24 PM

I have an older boat that I can't find any specs on. It is an '81 McKee Southporter 18.5. There is no jack plate for the outboard. I've been in water around 2-feet but I am afraid to go any less. Is there a way to take a measurement or some written info out there about draft? What about consideration for the load? The USCG plate says it'll hold a lot more weight than I put in it. How does that factor in?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 01:32 PM

Being 40 years old I imagine it has some sort of scum line on the hull. Just measure from there to the keel.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 02:28 PM

Where are you fishing?
Running aground in the bay is just something you do.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Where are you fishing?
Running aground in the bay is just something you do.

Or on any random lake if you are me......

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 04:28 PM

I guess I really need a airboat. Have progressively gotten shallower running boats. My current jet scooter is perfectly happy running in less than two inches of water. It won’t go in one inch. Guess how I figured that out?

Had to drag it sixty yards to get to four inches to get up and going again. Not fun by yourself. But it’s part of the deal.

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 04:36 PM

2x4's are your friend!

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 05:39 PM

What is really a friend.
I carry a small come along. I use a mud anchor and can stab it 15’ out and just winch it along even on dry ground. It’s slow but steady. Gives you time to reconsider your decisions.

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/03/21 11:03 PM

lol thats awesome....I actually have and electric winch and when stuck bad I will go get an axle shaft and pound it into the muck to pull on if I nothing is close enough.

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/04/21 01:45 AM

Electric winch would be cheating....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Austintatious

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/04/21 09:05 PM

I guess I really need a airboat. Have progressively gotten shallower running boats. My current jet scooter is perfectly happy running in less than two inches of water. It won’t go in one inch. Guess how I figured that out?

Had to drag it sixty yards to get to four inches to get up and going again. Not fun by yourself. But it’s part of the deal.

Ohh come on now... what sort of fish are there in 2 inches of water!!!!

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/04/21 09:28 PM

It’s the two inches to get to the back lake that’s two feet deep.
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/06/21 03:04 AM

Electric winch would be cheating....
[Linked Image]

But how was the fishing...

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/06/21 05:28 PM

Maybe this makes it easier for the unwashed to get...
Sight fishing redfish is what we do. You gotta get to the lakes to get them, and most of the cuts to get in the lakes is pretty dicey if you can't run through snot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/06/21 06:53 PM

If you ain't been aground, you ain't been nowhere! IslandJim

Re: How shallow can I go? - 03/06/21 10:04 PM

If you have a proper flats rig navigating gets pretty simple. Dark bottom? You’re good. Also know a wave can only be half the water depth. 6” wave is a foot of water. I can run just about anything but oil slick shoal water, so it’s pretty easy to see where you don’t belong.

I can’t tell you how many pot lickers I’ve pulled off sand bars because “you ran through there”. Gotta know your equipment.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum