Texas Fishing Forum

Water in hull

Posted By: sticknstring

Water in hull - 02/25/21 11:00 PM

I’m new to the area- moved to Aledo/ weatherford area a couple of months ago. I have a 19’ super tunnel blue wave that is drawing in water from somewhere. I’ll pull both drain plugs when I go out. Left one is dry, right side will have a gallon or two of water! I didn’t think it was a big deal- I’ll find it.... it’s wearing me out. Livewell is on the left side. I’ve changed the drain plugs, thinking they might be leaking.I stuck my head down in the bilge access holes last time we dropped it in the water at the ramp- still couldn’t figure it out. Anyone have a boat mechanic they can recommend for this kind of issue. Prefer someone in the weatherford to frt. worth area if possible. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Water in hull - 02/26/21 02:43 PM

were in Wylie and can check it out for you
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Water in hull - 02/27/21 01:29 PM

check the water pressure gauge hose and the speedo hose for leaks.

Re: Water in hull - 02/27/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by smooth move
check the water pressure gauge hose and the speedo hose for leaks.

didn't even think of gauges...will do!!

boatman-it's 85 miles one way...if you were closer to me I'd do it.
Any others recommended that are closer to me?
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Water in hull - 02/27/21 09:32 PM

Check live well line,( hoses ) and clamps
Posted By: carb

Re: Water in hull - 02/28/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pil,b
Check live well line,( hoses ) and clamps

I had the same issue with water on only one side of the tunnel. It was the live well hose where it connects to the live well as pil is suggesting. Didn’t find it till I ran the live well while inspecting the bilge at the same time.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Water in hull - 03/01/21 07:11 PM

At home you can put water in your live wells and check that. The last water leak I had was a live well pump o ring. Leaking water into the hull. Just a thought. Also your through hull splash well fitting. I had an old Stratos that I had to seal around them.

Re: Water in hull - 03/03/21 11:08 PM

Alot of great suggestions-I appreciate it guys!! Hopefully I can get past this soon cause there are crappie that need to be caught!
I
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Water in hull - 03/04/21 12:30 AM

Most leaks can be found without putting a hull in the water. It's a logic and diagnostic puzzle that needs slick approaches to solve. Think "put water in, and look for how it gets out." Like the idea on the livewell: fill it halfway first, then watch for leaks, Then run the pumps, watching for leaks. Then, fill it 100% FULL & look for leaks (think overflow in this last step).

Want to confirm the drain plugs aren't leaking? Put them in, then put water IN the bilge and see if it drips out around the drain plug. If it doesn't, then the water is definitely coming from somewhere else.

Re: Water in hull - 03/26/21 04:57 PM

[Linked Image]

I finally got around to it- it was leaking behind the transducer pad. It took a lot of water to create enough pressure to show itself.

Re: Water in hull - 03/26/21 05:07 PM

I'll add that one to the memory list of where to look for leaks. If the pad is epoxied on (like I think most are), the screws for mounting the transducer must be too long. When that happens, there's no way to get sealant between the hull and pad where the screw goes into the hull. When doing a special installation (such as on a transducer mounting pad) it's very important to size the hardware used appropriately, not simply use what came with the transducer. If you go through into the hull, you've defeated the purpose of the transducer pad.

Re: Water in hull - 03/26/21 09:15 PM

There was an older model transducer from previous owner that I removed and plugged up 1 1/2 yrs ago. When I put this transducer on, I mounted this pad first and of course I put it over the old location. I did this exact thing on my previous boat and didn’t have any problems over the years-this is kind of why I overlooked the pad. I didn’t suspect it would leak.

Re: Water in hull - 03/26/21 09:18 PM

I failed to add that this pad does not have any screws for assembly. It came with resin/ hardener.
I personally would never drill holes in a hull to mount a transducer.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Water in hull - 03/26/21 09:44 PM

You're going to have to remove the pad then inspect the transom for water damage. Yes even composite transoms can rot. Best case dry it out, reseal, then remount the transducer.

Re: Water in hull - 03/27/21 04:27 AM

I assumed it was mounted via an adhesive resin since I didn't see corner screws. TMD is correct that you should remove it, see how much water drains from the holes, dry it out, etc. To just leave it could invite catastrophic damage escalation. Old screw holes should always be filled with Marine-Tex to seal them from leaking - even if you were planning to cover it with a transducer block.

The Marine-Tex filler should be used even if the holes don't go all the way through. Any hole allows access to the laminated layers, and that is enough to let water get to the voids between layers where it will spread laterally to cause damage.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum