Texas Fishing Forum

Boat trailer tires

Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Boat trailer tires - 01/08/21 01:47 PM

What is the best brand ?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/08/21 02:02 PM

Ton's of love for Goodyear's endurance. Seems mostly because their American made and people relate that to better quality. I'm on my second set of Carlisle Radial HD's. Put close to 30k on first set and only replaced with second set because of age. Second set already has almost 6k trouble free miles. Oh and their half the cost of the GY's.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/08/21 05:13 PM

Carlisle on mine
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/08/21 05:30 PM

Endurance on mine. No issues.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/08/21 05:54 PM

I have Carlisle HD on one of mine and Endurance on the other both are working well.

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/08/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Endurance on mine. No issues.
That' s a good ideal, thanks
Posted By: Micheal

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/09/21 02:34 PM

The secret to good performance is keeping the tire PSI where it is recommended. If the boat sets for long periods of time they seem to lose some air. Just saying.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/10/21 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Micheal
The secret to good performance is keeping the tire PSI where it is recommended. If the boat sets for long periods of time they seem to lose some air. Just saying.

I have GYs and air them up to max. I have found this to be the key on trailer tires. I had bias ply Carlisle on Ranger and never had a flat or any problems.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/10/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Originally Posted by Micheal

I have GYs and air them up to max. I have found this to be the key on trailer tires. I had bias ply Carlisle on Ranger and never had a flat or any problems.

Exactly. Tire pressure is the key. Don’t get lazy and if you do, expect problems regardless of brand.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/10/21 04:20 AM

I swapped the OEM Carlisle's for GY Endurance on mine.

Went up to 14" and replaced the wheels at the same time because they were 4+ years old and I don't want any problems. cheers
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/11/21 02:23 AM

I’ve had two sets of Endurance. 215/75-ST14 and 205/75-ST14. Trust me. They DO NOT last any longer than other brand tires. They blow up just like all the others. They just cost more.

I’m really lost on what to recommend. I just don’t trust ANY trailer tire. I always keep the pressure perfect on my boat trailer. It helps, but doesn’t keep them from suddenly just blowing up.

I’m looking at having my trailer fenders replaced to larger fenders so I can run a low profile(larger diameter wheel) passenger tire. I have never had a passenger tire blow out in 38 years of being a licensed driver. I average around 1 or 2 trailer tire blowouts per year. Different boats, different trailers. Common denominator is ST rated tires. They all suck..as in blow. Really hard.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/11/21 06:54 PM

Same here Steez-1-2 per year. Got to where I carried around more tire changing materials than fishing gear! I did more research on the last tire jack I bought than my last high end reel. I'm spraying masterblaster on the lugs a couple of times per year just so they're that much easier/quicker to take off when on the side of the highway. This includes new tires (expensive and less expensive), well taken care of, and with PSI constantly monitored.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/11/21 07:41 PM

That's the first negative post I've seen on the Goodyear Endurance. I've been running them for 3 years with no problems. I'm going to Mexico next month with boat and trailer, so I went ahead and bought new tires. I also went ahead and ordered whole new hubs and bearing assemblies, seems though Johnny Morris (Ranger) as gone up more than double on parts, since I bought them 3 years ago.
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/14/21 12:25 AM

I went 15-years with one or more blowouts every year, using ST trailer tires. They do not make a low profile 15" truck tire, but they do make them in 16". No 15" wheel/tire combo would fit my trailer, but a 16" combo will. Over 5-years ago I went from 14" wheels to 16" wheels and Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2. I did have to adjust my fenders. I drive 75 to 80 and have not had one blowout. Trailer tires are a joke, they even say on them for trailer use only. In other words not good enough to use on cars or trucks. Could you imagine the uproar if truck tires had all the blowouts that trailer tires experience. Another issue with trailer tires, they can be hard to find in stock when you need one. Everyone has 16" low-profile truck tires in stock, it may not be the one you want, but in an emergency at least you can get one.
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/14/21 04:23 AM

RAMM, I asked you this in the stickied thread but I'll ask you here as well. Did you have any problem finding the larger wheels that would fit your bolt pattern? I'm looking at doing the same thing.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/18/21 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Ton's of love for Goodyear's endurance. Seems mostly because their American made and people relate that to better quality. I'm on my second set of Carlisle Radial HD's. Put close to 30k on first set and only replaced with second set because of age. Second set already has almost 6k trouble free miles. Oh and their half the cost of the GY's.

X2 On the Goodyear Endurance LR D

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/19/21 07:51 AM

Both came from Discount Tire. At first, they were concerned the wheel was not wide enough. The guy I was dealing with said he had to call someone higher up to get an ok on the wheel. He got the ok. I have not had any problems with the way the tires are wearing. The bolt pattern is the same I had with the 14" wheels. I think it is 5 by 4.5" bolt pattern. I use the same hubs. 5 tires and wheels were 1,500. Some of the best money I have ever spent.

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/19/21 07:52 AM

Both came from Discount Tire. At first, they were concerned the wheel was not wide enough. The guy I was dealing with said he had to call someone higher up to get an ok on the wheel. He got the ok. I have not had any problems with the way the tires are wearing. The bolt pattern is the same I had with the 14" wheels. I think it is 5 by 4.5" bolt pattern. I use the same hubs. 5 tires and wheels were 1,500. Some of the best money I have ever spent.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/19/21 04:33 PM

Goodyear Endurance

Re: Boat trailer tires - 01/26/21 05:57 PM

I'm going with Goodyear , because the last Goodyear's lasted 21 years . I got my money's worth , LOL ! I only go 10 miles round trip.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum