Texas Fishing Forum

Mystery outboard noise, any guesses?

Posted By: z289sec

Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/03/21 08:05 PM

Last trip out, started making a strange noise. Went through everything at home. Changed oil, no metallics. Changed lower unit fluid, very, very, slight metallic look, no water. This was the first fluid change. Changed the fuel filter....no chunks of debris. Pulled the prop off, which just got changed out a couple outings ago, saw nothing out of the ordinary. Decided to take it back out, and see if it was still there. It was.

The sound is like, if something were spinning, and was out of round, and rubbing against an enclosure. A constant rhythm of rub, and no rub. Does it in Forward, neutral, and reverse. Thought it may be an issue with the stator, as my cranking battery just took a dump on me today, but turns out the battery is just faulty. Also, won't make the noise with muffs on, only if it's in the water with the load against it. Or, maybe the exhaust is covering it up. Sounds like it's coming from the upper end of the motor, not down low. Going to take it in tomorrow, as it's under warranty, but anyone have any noise like this before? Just curious.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/03/21 08:35 PM

I bet some smart alec is gonna ask what the motor is.........

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/03/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Beak47
I bet some smart alec is gonna ask what the motor is.........

It's a 2020 Merc 50hp Command Thrust, should have probably put it in there anyway.
Posted By: DREAMIN TEAM

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/04/21 03:01 AM

Did this start about the same time you changed props ? Check spacer and hub .

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/04/21 05:33 PM

2nd trip out halfway through, yes. Already pulled prop, and double checked it. The only way to mess up one of those torq flex hubs is to not seat it together all the way. And it's completely seated. Same amount of play the prop had when the motor was new. Also makes the noise out of gear.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/04/21 05:56 PM

We can check it out for you
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/04/21 06:12 PM

Prop thrust washer may be installed backwards. confused 3

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/04/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Prop thrust washer may be installed backwards. confused 3
Installed according to the directions in the replacement prop, and exactly like the one that came off. Taking it to the shop tomorrow. Don't know how they will test it , they're going to have to get it on the water to hear it.

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/05/21 11:10 PM

2 weeks likely before they'll be able to diagnose it, but dropped it off today.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/06/21 02:31 PM

Where you drop it off
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/07/21 04:24 PM

does it do at all rpm and speed ranges or just around idle,etc.

and if you have a sst prop.. and the noise is around idle and slow speeds.... its in the gear case and is fairly normal.
mercury recommends the flo-torque iv hub kit, which acts as a dampner at low speeds. (absorbs the shock due to the weight of the sst prop)

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/08/21 11:52 PM

They already got it diagnosed, apparently when we dinged the prop, shaft took a lick as well. Seems strange that after changing the prop, the vibration stopped, and the noise didn't start until the second time out with the new prop. But, oh well, guess that's the way it goes. New prop shaft, some sort of clutch assembly, and a new bearing, and it will be up and running again. Might even be out before next weekend. Those prop shafts must be extremely delicate, prop looked like it was a very small lick, and not even dead on, just barely caught one blade. Rest of the prop looked mint.

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/08/21 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by steve@hydrodynamics
does it do at all rpm and speed ranges or just around idle,etc.

and if you have a sst prop.. and the noise is around idle and slow speeds.... its in the gear case and is fairly normal.
mercury recommends the flo-torque iv hub kit, which acts as a dampner at low speeds. (absorbs the shock due to the weight of the sst prop)

All the time. Has an aluminum prop, and it has the flo torque hub kit as well.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/09/21 12:24 AM

Odd that the aluminium prop bent the steel shaft. Normally the aluminium props prevent such things I knownif can happen, but you say the prop barely has damage. Strange.

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/09/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Alumacraft 14
Odd that the aluminium prop bent the steel shaft. Normally the aluminium props prevent such things I knownif can happen, but you say the prop barely has damage. Strange.

If I get the prop back, I'll post a pic. It's literally ridiculous how little damage there is.

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/22/21 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alumacraft 14

Pics of the prop, quality isn't the greatest, but it's plainly obvious there was minimal damage to the prop.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poodle

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/24/21 05:06 AM

Mine made a rubbing noise, turned out the starter bendex was barely rubbing. Turned out my key was staying turned in the starting position just a little and was causing it to rub. Now I make sure that I feel the key turn all the way back to run position after I start it plus lubed the switch.

Re: Mystery outboard noise, any guesses? - 01/24/21 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Poodle
Mine made a rubbing noise, turned out the starter bendex was barely rubbing. Turned out my key was staying turned in the starting position just a little and was causing it to rub. Now I make sure that I feel the key turn all the way back to run position after I start it plus lubed the switch.

Got mine out on the water for the first time today, since the repair. Still making the exact same noise. I don't think it will make the noise in a test bucket. I think they're going to have to get it out on the lake to hear it. Like it needs the drag of the boat to make it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum