Texas Fishing Forum

Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries?

Posted By: Marlin Frederick

Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/09/20 12:19 AM

I am going to move to using 2 12V lithium ion batteries for trolling (still deciding on whose) and a PC2250 Odyssey battery for my graphs and cranking the main motor. Any advice for onboard charging? I was wondering if I should install two separate chargers? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/09/20 02:02 PM

I would, buy a single bank minn kota precision for the agm and whatever charger the lion mfr recommends to keep warranty
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/10/20 02:25 AM

When I inquired about swapping to Lithium batteries on mine I was told the NOCO Gen 3 I have would work fine with them. cheers
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/10/20 02:28 AM

i run my minn kota 440 on my ionic takes about two hours to charge
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/10/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Marlin Frederick
I am going to move to using 2 12V lithium ion batteries for trolling (still deciding on whose) and a PC2250 Odyssey battery for my graphs and cranking the main motor. Any advice for onboard charging? I was wondering if I should install two separate chargers? Thanks in advance.

I am going to swap over to Ionic Lithium's this Winter/Spring and am going with 2-50A's and a 125A for the starting battery. woot
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/10/20 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
When I inquired about swapping to Lithium batteries on mine I was told the NOCO Gen 3 I have would work fine with them. cheers

It will "work" with them in that it will charge them, but it WILL NOT charge them to 100% charge level for the Li-ion. I don't say this to bash NOCO (I happen to like the company.) Unless a charger has a selectable program, or is "hard-wired" with a profile adequate for Li-ion, you will never get the Li-ion to true 100% charge. This is just a fact of physics because the higher voltage level of the Li-ion is so high that it would cook a lead-acid battery (boil-out, etc.) if the charger were charging to those levels. So, charging a Li-ion to the voltage cut-off of a smart charger not specifically set up for Li-ion will create a scenario where the charger stops before the battery is at 100%.

NOCO has already introduced a new single-bank garage-use charger with a battery technology setting for Li-ion. It's there to bump up the final stage voltage, otherwise the charger would never properly charge a Li-ion battery. I suspect the next generation of marine charger models will have a similar feature.

Dual Pro says their regular chargers don't support Li-ion either - for the same voltage level facts I point out above. They do offer modified chargers that have been programmed specifically to provide a full 100% charge level for Li-ion batteries (making the charger no longer compatible with lead-acid or AGM batteries).

Bottom line: Unless you have a charger specifically stated to charge Li-ion to 100%, you'll be heading to the lake with partially charged Li-ion batteries. This will mean you will never get the stated Amp-Hours of energy from the batteries because they were never properly charged to 100% before the use cycle began.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/10/20 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
I would, buy a single bank minn kota precision for the agm and whatever charger the lion mfr recommends to keep warranty

We have a winner! I agree with you 100%.
Posted By: MBF

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/13/20 07:21 PM

I have three lithium 12v for the trolling motor and 1 flooded crank. Charging with a mk 460p.
I do not want to waste charging cycles with the lithium on the flooded. Do I run two separate chargers?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/16/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MBF
I have three lithium 12v for the trolling motor and 1 flooded crank. Charging with a mk 460p.
I do not want to waste charging cycles with the lithium on the flooded. Do I run two separate chargers?

best charger made, I have the 440pc, didn't realize they did lithiums.

gonna be a while before I can spring for the lithiums. grin
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/16/20 01:12 PM

If you are going to sink that kind of money in batteries I would look at Power Poles new 100 amp onboard charger. Its a little over $1000 but it eliminates the need for a jump switch and your batteries basically never need charged off the water. Im buying one next year. They told me that it will charge any battery or combination up to 100%.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/16/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by TomRom

If you are going to sink that kind of money in batteries I would look at Power Poles new 100 amp onboard charger. Its a little over $1000 but it eliminates the need for a jump switch and your batteries basically never need charged off the water. Im buying one next year. They told me that it will charge any battery or combination up to 100%.

If you run your big motor a lot on larger lakes it will provide some charge. Smaller lakes with short runs and more time on the TM don't justify the cost.
Posted By: keast

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 10/19/20 06:51 PM

No.Co G4 6V & 12V 4.4A 4-Bank Battery Charger and Maintainer

I have this one and it does great, and can charge mixed battery types (4 batteries at a time).
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 11/05/20 08:36 PM

Do you mean Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) or lithium ion. They are very different. Lithium ion has a much higher voltage and is not commonly used in 12v application. (you can use them for 24v application).

Most LiFePO4 manufactures include a battery management system to protect the battery from overcharging, so you only need to make sure the charger will put out enough to fully charge it. If your charger will reach 14.2v or so it should be fine. You do not want one with a float charge function if you can help it.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Battery Charger for 1 AGM and 2 Lithium Ion Batteries? - 11/11/20 04:24 PM

I use a 12v charger on my start battery and a stealth charge on the run charges my tm batteries after the start reaches xx amount of charge
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum