Texas Fishing Forum

Issue with steering

Posted By: Greg W

Issue with steering - 09/03/20 02:17 AM

I have a 2012 Skeeter CC with a Yami 150. Yesterday I pulled off the road before the ramp to get ready for launch and it was kind of steep. Noticed my motor had tilted to the side maybe 30 degrees from straight and it bent my motor brace. Well today noticed my steering at speed feels off. Best way I can describe it is steering feels like it kind of catches. It's not smooth like normal. Still works, but kind of catches a bit as you turn. Anyone have any idea what's happened?
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 03:43 PM

do you have manual or hyd strg?

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 04:17 PM

Hydraulic
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 04:37 PM

Have you checked the motor pivot pin at the top of the bracket that mounts to the transom or jackplate? I just can't see the steering causing the brace to bend. I would sure find out more before running it more!
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 05:49 PM

Or it has air in the system maybe?

side seals look ok or is there residue on them ?

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bronco71
Have you checked the motor pivot pin at the top of the bracket that mounts to the transom or jackplate? I just can't see the steering causing the brace to bend. I would sure find out more before running it more!

When I say the brace bent, I mean just the brace that's used for trailing going from the bottom roller and bracing the lower unit. When I got on the side of the road to take that brace off and the straps off I think the lean was such that the motor just naturally tilted to the side and it was enough to just bend the little end of the aluminum brace.

I talked to my mechanic and he said it's either air in the line, it's low on fluid, or there are 12 pistons in there and sometimes one can stick. I'll check the fluid and lines tonight and take it in soon. Reading the web sounds like it's good to flush the fluid on a regular basis anyways. Sounds like it's not too hard to flush the fluid. I've done brakes on cars many times. Just need 2 people so someone can turn the wheel. I have a bleeder hose for my brakes if it's the same size.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 06:37 PM

There is also a 1 man bleeder available, works great!
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Issue with steering - 09/03/20 10:39 PM

Yep air. Need to find out how it got into system. Most likely cause is Lk. at steering cylinder seals and/or helm.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum