Texas Fishing Forum

Another XR6 Question

Posted By: BCBassCat

Another XR6 Question - 09/02/20 04:39 PM

Had this rig for over 7 years now. At one point it got so hard to get it started I had to keep starting fluid. After getting started once is was good all day. That problem went away for about a year, now it's back. I don't see any fuel filters. What do I need to look for?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/02/20 05:28 PM

I'd always start troubleshooting that type problem with the condition of my fuel supply. From there, I check age and condition of my fuel to motor supply hose and primer bulb.
Posted By: OPTI

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/02/20 10:48 PM

Either enrichment valve is in-op or the the hoses from carb bowl to valve or the valve to carbs hoses are collapsed .....OPTI
Posted By: Go-N-Slow

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/09/20 03:00 AM

I asume your pushing the key down to choke the engine while starting? That's what I have to do to my 92 xr6 when it doesn't want to start...
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/09/20 06:40 PM

I do
Posted By: UJC

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/26/20 06:07 PM

I dread going to the ramp after my boat has sat for a week. The XR6 is a real *itch to start. But when it starts, like you, it goes all day. The next day, good too... etc. I'm always having to choke.

I was told by Tommy Y to have the motor trim as far down as it will go. This does seem to help, however, depending on ramp incline and lake level, this isn't always an option. Having the battery fully charged and holding my mouth just right, seems to help. LOLs
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/27/20 03:28 PM

UJC,

I have a 03 XR6 and finally have a start up protocol that seems to work pretty good, even after a couple of weeks without starting. My issue is when I have run the motor and fished for a while. It will start right up but I have to idle it for 4-5 minutes before I get it on plane. If I start it right up and give her the gas she bogs down. It seems it is too rich if I don't let some gas work into the mixture. Have a friend who has a 250 SHO that does the same thing. Both are carbed 2 strokes and not EFI.

Frustrating but once she gets up on plane, she runs great and at the perfect RPM speed ratio. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

4W
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 03:17 PM

I have an XR6 on my Triton TR186 that I bought new in 2001 when I first got it and through the break in process it would flood real easy but after the break in it became the coldest nature thing next to my old 66 Mustang I'd ever seen. it took me a while but I learned finally the combination the get the old gal to fire up without worrying or tying up the boat ramp. 1st pump bulb up to where its firm then while you get backed or in the water turn key on push the key choke enrichment button or switch for a count of 10. set idle at not quite to midway and hit the start then hit the choke in one count pulses mine usually takes two when it fires up make sure the RPM's don't go above 2000 then back off to idle. Works on mine even after sitting up during the winter. After that the rest of the day it starts on the first bump of the key.

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 05:41 PM

Good stuff Fordnut. My only issue has been after the motor sits for an hour or so and I get ready to run. It just needs to idle a bit to get the mixture right to get up on plane. If not, it bogs.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
UJC,

I have a 03 XR6 and finally have a start up protocol that seems to work pretty good, even after a couple of weeks without starting. My issue is when I have run the motor and fished for a while. It will start right up but I have to idle it for 4-5 minutes before I get it on plane. If I start it right up and give her the gas she bogs down. It seems it is too rich if I don't let some gas work into the mixture. Have a friend who has a 250 SHO that does the same thing. Both are carbed 2 strokes and not EFI.

Frustrating but once she gets up on plane, she runs great and at the perfect RPM speed ratio. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

4W

4-5 minutes is a long time but you should be letting it warm up before you hammer it. On my Black Max I pumped the bulb firm, dropped motor down all the way, and hit the enricher. Normally started right up. It use to drive the ex crazy when she could not start it and I jumped in and it fired right up.

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
UJC,

4W

4-5 minutes is a long time but you should be letting it warm up before you hammer it. On my Black Max I pumped the bulb firm, dropped motor down all the way, and hit the enricher. Normally started right up. It use to drive the ex crazy when she could not start it and I jumped in and it fired right up.

Do you pump the bulb before every time you started it up? I have never done that except on initial start. Maybe I will try that when out tomorrow.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 07:31 PM

Good stuff Fordnut. My only issue has been after the motor sits for an hour or so and I get ready to run. It just needs to idle a bit to get the mixture right to get up on plane. If not, it bogs.

sounds like yours may be loading up while sitting but I normally wait until it warms up while idle in gear to get to a take off point. I put a temperature gauge on it not long after I bought it so I have water pressure and temperature if for only my amusement. I also put sea foam in when gassing up 1oz @ gallon the inner barrel of the prop is nice and clean no black stuff.

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 07:41 PM

I do the sea foam marine as well every fill up. I do have a water pressure gauge on mine. Maybe I just need to be a little more patient in the warm up. Maybe not 4-5 minute patient but a couple of minutes. Prop is clean. What did you mean by " sounds like yours may be loading up while sitting" ?

Thanks for the feedback FN.
Posted By: TLW

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/28/20 09:13 PM

i've heard and read 'bout several folks that they have ta pump tha bulb up if they set for an hour or so with xr6?.. i've never experienced it with any of my carb motors including all tha XR series carb motors UNLESS they developed a problem with either a leaky bulb and/or fuel pump (internal)......... tha leaky fuel pump will cause it to seem "loaded up" after settin' a little bit... jmo.

Re: Another XR6 Question - 09/29/20 01:07 AM

Thanks

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/01/20 02:37 AM

Did a couple of different things when cranking the XR6 yesterday. Boat never bogged getting up on plane after sitting and ran great. Thanks for the tips on this thread. Helped a lot !!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/01/20 05:22 PM

UJC,

4W

Am i reading this wrong or are you saying your friends 250 sho is a carbed 2 stroke. Lol

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/01/20 08:01 PM

I
Originally Posted by Dubee
UJC,

4W

Am i reading this wrong or are you saying your friends 250 sho is a carbed 2 stroke. Lol

My bad. I checked with my bud and its a 250 Optimax 2 Stroke. Sorry for the bad info.
Posted By: Liebers Dad

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/02/20 01:35 PM

I have a '93 XR6 that is a pain to start some days. Other days it starts right up. I don't fish as much as I should, but when it's been a couple of months (read 3-4 months usually) I put the ears on it and start it the night before so it's good to go in the morning.

Question for the rest of you XR6 owners - once the motor is warmed up and I've hit a couple of fishing spots I must depress the hot foot about 3/4 of the way and the motor will start right up, but if that trick is not done the motor has trouble starting. No big deal, but curious if anyone else has to do that.
Posted By: TLW

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/02/20 01:54 PM

jus an observation from owning "many" XR/carbureted V6 motors over tha years.. can't remember any two that had same cold or warm start scenarios.. but never had a problem after figurin' out what it wanted........... jmo.

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/02/20 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Liebers Dad
I have a '93 XR6 that is a pain to start some days. Other days it starts right up. I don't fish as much as I should, but when it's been a couple of months (read 3-4 months usually) I put the ears on it and start it the night before so it's good to go in the morning.

Question for the rest of you XR6 owners - once the motor is warmed up and I've hit a couple of fishing spots I must depress the hot foot about 3/4 of the way and the motor will start right up, but if that trick is not done the motor has trouble starting. No big deal, but curious if anyone else has to do that.

Man I have spoken to probably 20 people about the XR6 and I agree with TLW, the motor is great but not a one trick pony. I think you just have to do what you have to do with your motor to get it where it wants. Once that is done, they run great.

Good luck.
Posted By: Liebers Dad

Re: Another XR6 Question - 10/02/20 11:22 PM

Yep, that's about the size of it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum