Texas Fishing Forum

Tilt /Trim

Posted By: Lazy Ike

Tilt /Trim - 07/26/20 10:13 PM

bang Well idune f%#@$^&8 up. Was going to put fluid in t&t go to unscrew plug on resevoir and plug BROKE in half. Triied a ezy out, didnt work .Picked around trying to get pieces out, Was using small flat screwdriver, and little rudder mallet, gor some cleaned out. Got another plug went to screw it in with fingers. Wont tighten. Anyone have any experience on this. It would be appreciated. Dont think there would be a larger size plug i would just tap new threads. Also thought wrap plug with teflon tape, But not sure on that cause of pressure ? HELP
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Tilt /Trim - 07/27/20 12:47 AM

Motor make and model and spell check would help

Re: Tilt /Trim - 07/27/20 02:24 AM

Hi Stump , it is a merc200 efi .May have to look for used t&t unit. Just thinking of possibiltys
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Tilt /Trim - 07/27/20 02:31 AM

I had that happen on a boat with an old Black Max 150, I found a bolt to fit into it, might have been metric. Might be able to find a tapered pipe plug to fit. I would try that before replacing it.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Tilt /Trim - 07/27/20 06:23 AM

There are "plugs" for replacing stripped threads. They are produced in various sizes with various thread pitches. Figure out what thread is used on the new plug, then repair the stripped thread. Repair shops do this from time to time as they run into the same thing you did. Look up "helicoil inserts". Even Amazon sells them.

Because the installation kits can get pricey, you may want to inquire with a shop about simply repairing the thread. (They should already have a kit for doing the task, so it wouldn't be a big deal for them, or take more than a few minutes.)

Re: Tilt /Trim - 07/27/20 01:12 PM

cheersThanks Flippin, i did think of a helicoil, Somewhat concerned about debris/ what is left of old plug, or metai going into pump. Well that is the most econical solution, can't worry about particles in there too much, hit it with air nozzle. Thanks.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Tilt /Trim - 07/27/20 04:32 PM

I agree with the debris concern. Consider this: After the helicoil is installed, fill the reservoir with fluid, disconnect the pump outlet, block the direction the stream will spray with a large rag, and let 'er rip for a bit to hopefully purge anything that was in there. The cost of that fluid won't be very much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum