Texas Fishing Forum

well I screwed up

Posted By: zachary00

well I screwed up - 07/17/20 02:55 AM

I had my son unloading the boat today. He didn't get it all the way off the trailer and I pulled out. It drug the back end of the hull and chipped right below the drain plug. It looks like its not to bad, but I dont know what to do. I have some marine tex I can patch it with, but I dont know if its insufficient, or not necessary. Please help me fix my mistake.

I do feel fortunate it isn't worse than it is. I didnt realize it had hit the ramp until I loaded back up. It didn't leak, at least from I could tell, but I dont want this to cause the transom to rot.

Attached picture 20200716_213759.jpg
Posted By: CADD

Re: well I screwed up - 07/17/20 04:25 AM

I think some Marine-Tex will do the trick, looks like it's only Gel-coat damage
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: well I screwed up - 07/17/20 04:43 AM

I see cracks to the right also. It looks like other chips may be ready to come loose. It is best to get any of those off before you use Marine-tex. Marine-tex over a loose chip won't hold, but if you put it on a solid surface, it will stay there.

Did the boat rear up in the air so that the stern hit the ramp? A little habit I have is to connect the winch strap before the driver pulls the trailer out of the water. It doesn't have to be cranked down hard, just at least with the winch engaged and clipped as a safety harness with just a bit of slack. I've seen several boats come off the trailer at ramps, and it wasn't pretty. That was my motivation to develop that habit decades ago.

Re: well I screwed up - 07/17/20 12:40 PM

We were unloading. I leave the strap hooked on until in the water. Got out, unhooked the strap, and pushed the boat back a little. My son tried to back up as I was getting back in. He didn't run it up high enough and it hung on the trailer bunks as I pulled out. I looked back and the nose was up in the air. I should have waited until he cleared the trailer all the way, but I didn't.

He's only 12 and I knew when I started teaching him to load and unload there would be issues. Still sucks when they happen. A little time and the suggestions above have helped ease my frustration. Thanks
Posted By: rb7764

Re: well I screwed up - 07/17/20 03:06 PM

Rough it up and get all of the loose material out with very coarse sand paper. Then marine tex. It will fix that for sure.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: well I screwed up - 07/17/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by rb7764
Rough it up and get all of the loose material out with very coarse sand paper. Then marine tex. It will fix that for sure.

let it dry for a couple of days at least.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: well I screwed up - 07/17/20 11:32 PM

Should be an easy fix. Make it another teaching moment for your son. He will some day appreciate knowing how to fix a boat gel coat.

Re: well I screwed up - 07/18/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
Should be an easy fix. Make it another teaching moment for your son. He will some day appreciate knowing how to fix a boat gel coat.

That is a great idea. Thanks.

Most of my memories with my grandpa were working on a boat or car. I sometimes forget how important the little things are.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: well I screwed up - 07/20/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
I see cracks to the right also. It looks like other chips may be ready to come loose. It is best to get any of those off before you use Marine-tex. Marine-tex over a loose chip won't hold, but if you put it on a solid surface, it will stay there.

Did the boat rear up in the air so that the stern hit the ramp? A little habit I have is to connect the winch strap before the driver pulls the trailer out of the water. It doesn't have to be cranked down hard, just at least with the winch engaged and clipped as a safety harness with just a bit of slack. I've seen several boats come off the trailer at ramps, and it wasn't pretty. That was my motivation to develop that habit decades ago.

His original post clearly says unloading
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum