Texas Fishing Forum

Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement

Posted By: Tc24

Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/11/20 12:38 AM

I started hearing a slight ticking/clicking sound from the motor(1998 Johnson 50hp) last week, so loaded up & brought it home for further inspection....I drained the gear oil & found one very tiny piece of metal maybe 1/16 x1/16 stuck to the drain screw... This of course leads me to believe that one of the lower gears is damaged.... I'm thinking of buying the Gear Set ( which would include Forward, Reverse, Pinion Gear & Clutch Doggear) & tackling this job myself, so was wondering if anyone had some pointers to make the job both easier & successful... smile Any special tools needed? Other parts/seals? Like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated... Heck, if you've done it before, you're more than welcome to physically help me or just give an estimate to do it for me....lol. I'm in the Seagoville/Mesquite area... Thanks guys..
Posted By: boatwhisperer

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/11/20 02:12 AM

you are going to need a seal kit, a new pinion nut for the end of the driveshaft, a new spring for the clutch dog and a special tool to set the pinion gear depth. good luck

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/11/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by boatwhisperer
you are going to need a seal kit, a new pinion nut for the end of the driveshaft, a new spring for the clutch dog and a special tool to set the pinion gear depth. good luck

Thanks, I appreciate that info.... Time to watch some youtube videos & hopefully gain enough knowledge to do this repair.... frown
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/12/20 04:28 AM

Check iboats.net forum. Use their search feature or ask your question there

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/12/20 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by gar1970
Check iboats.net forum. Use their search feature or ask your question there

Thanks, I’ll check into that also. From what I’ve read on different forums & some videos, I’m really on the fence as to whether to tackle this job or look at buying a good used lower unit ... I’ve dropped the lower before to replace the impeller & water pump and that was easy enough, but getting into the gear set is obviously a bit more complicated... With that said, the job is still open to anyone who like to do it for or with me.... wink I’m a pm away.... thanks

Ps: I’ve been installing all types of flooring for over 35 years, both commercially & in residential homes all around the Dallas area, so would be willing to install some flooring for you in exchange for rebuilding my lower unit....

Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/16/20 10:55 AM

Danger marine on YouTube will be your best friend for tackling stuff like this.
Tim

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/19/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
Danger marine on YouTube will be your best friend for tackling stuff like this.
Tim

Thanks, I appreciate the help...
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/26/20 04:16 AM

Would be better off replacing with used unit or aftermarket if you can find it.

Re: Help with Johnson 50hp lower unit gear replacement - 07/28/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dawson Hefner
Would be better off replacing with used unit or aftermarket if you can find it.

I'm definitely exploring finding a nice used one as an option....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum