Texas Fishing Forum

T&T Position Sender

Posted By: Big Hopper

T&T Position Sender - 06/03/20 07:27 PM

HELP !!!!

1986 Mariner 150Mag

I removed and sent my Tilt & Trim unit to a shop for overhaul. Expensive, but I think they did a good job. I re-installed it, along with changing over from a 3-Wire to a 2-Wire relay system. Did all of that okay, and it works great.

In the process, I had to remove the position sending unit, as it was in the way of the top clevis pin for the tilt cylinder.

Yeah I'm talking about that little hockey puck thing attached to the left upper part of the mount. I had a Son-in law helping mad so I'm not exactly sure what or where the parts came from. But it's pretty simple. Parts should go on, as they came off.

Now, when I remount everything, the gauge reads WAY out of range. Like, when the motor is all the way up, the gauge reads way high, but as I lower the motor, the gauge goes to the below the trim position before the T&T actually gets to trim.

Almost like there is a 180 deg. out of phase or some thing. I have swapped that sensor around all sorts of ways and can't fix it. Or almost like the polarity has swapped from + to - .

Anybody got any idea how to fix it?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: T&T Position Sender - 06/03/20 07:49 PM

Trim motor full down, remove trim sender and rotate rheostat gently until gauge pointer indicates full down. Reinstall and trim motor full up. Check gauge for correct indication/position.

Re: T&T Position Sender - 06/03/20 11:32 PM

Can't remove sender with the motor down.

Re: T&T Position Sender - 06/03/20 11:34 PM

Can't remove sender with the motor down.

Besides, the gauge pegs out on the down side,before the motor is half way down, not even in the Trim area yet. The gauge want to go all the way around I think.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: T&T Position Sender - 06/04/20 11:57 AM

OK, trim motor up high enough to access sender. It's simply a matter of adjusting the rheostat position to the gauge pointer to the motor. You will have to tinker with it a bit but it's a really easy fix.

Re: T&T Position Sender - 06/05/20 01:27 PM

Thanks T-bird .... but that's not doing it. I've tried everything. It's kinda like the polarity of the gauge or sender is swapped. And yes I tried that.

The sender works fine if I remove it and keep the wires connected, then manually turn the sender simulating the motor movement.

Except it's about 90 deg. off. And it won't remount to the motor in that position.

Just bought a replacement sender. Another $78
It's only money.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum