Texas Fishing Forum

Family Boat

Posted By: TrueTexan

Family Boat - 06/01/20 03:12 AM

A few questions here ... I grew up on fresh water ... with VIP fish/ski, Pontoons, and a 19' Blue wave. All of which were equipped with outboard motors.

I am now on the hunt for my first bay boat. She then realize I was going to buy something she would never want to step foot it ... a 18 ft deep and wide flat bottom and said she wants something the whole family can get into. Because of that the jon boat is kind of shot. I have looked at some older Hurricane's as most of them are out of my price range. It seems all of the chaparrals or other similar boats are all inboard, which I want to stay away from ... if at all possible.

Which leads me to my question, am I being way particular staying away from the inboards, and also ... Should I go with an older Blue wave ... like 22' + ... not much seating there, but we can all ride in it ... fish from it, tube/ski from it,. Keep in mind my budget is set somewhere around 10K , and I could go over a bit, but would much rather be closer to 5k.

Any incite or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Family Boat - 06/01/20 03:31 AM

The typical deep V of an inboard excludes them from serious competition as a "bay boat" - along with the fact that weight is often greater, and planing dept is greater as well. Seating in a fishing boat isn't usually something focused on. A center console with a bench on the front of the console + a large (fish box) cooler with a seat cushion in the back area provides more seating. A leaning post at the console is practical for a good ride in rough water. A "family boat" such as the ones you mention is a train wreck for fishing in my opinion. You need to get them all hooked on fishing, or buy them the over-sized jet ski, I mean boat, that was listed in the classifieds here, then buy your fishing boat.

Re: Family Boat - 06/01/20 03:46 PM

That is exactly where I am at, however I have seen some Cajun Fish / Ski combo's that are possibly applicable?

I have also had my eyes on the 244 Magnum Bluewave, as they have enough space, or honestly any of the larger center consoles with the jump seats installed in the back. I'm not looking for a pontoon, although that is basically what the Hurricane (Godfreys') are ...

Any other advice, or recommendations out there !?!?! Surely some one has solved this problem with a budget friendly recipe !??!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Family Boat - 06/01/20 07:05 PM

I really like my Champ. Person capacity is listed at 5 but that is because of seating. 2 at console, 2 in jump seats and 2 kids on baitwell seat is not a big deal. I know there are different rules for capacities on boats over a certain size. Problem on your budget will be finding a Champ or Skeeter or other quality bay in price range. Champs are getting hard to find. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Family Boat - 06/02/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by TrueTexan
That is exactly where I am at, however I have seen some Cajun Fish / Ski combo's that are possibly applicable?

I have also had my eyes on the 244 Magnum Bluewave, as they have enough space, or honestly any of the larger center consoles with the jump seats installed in the back. I'm not looking for a pontoon, although that is basically what the Hurricane (Godfreys') are ...

Any other advice, or recommendations out there !?!?! Surely some one has solved this problem with a budget friendly recipe !??!

That cajun would be a travis boat if it's got a johnson rigged on it. They are as bottom feeder hulls as there ever was.
Deck boats will beat your teeth fillings out.
If you're going to stick your boat in the bay, I/O's won't live long. Painted trailers won't live long, carpet won't live long, a freshwater rigged anything will cause a lot of pain. Get something built to live in the brine, and not something you'll be working on constantly.

Re: Family Boat - 06/02/20 02:07 PM

Great information Pat ! Thanks ! Stump Jumper, have had my eyes on a few Champs. Is there any difference between each champion models ?! Or enough difference to take note, between years of models , etc...

I keep hearing about "Bay Champs" being "the one", any additional information, on specific models that would allow me to go to jetty's on 1's to 3's days ... and also get in a foot of water ???
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Family Boat - 06/02/20 06:22 PM

I would stick with the Bay Champ versus the Sea Champ. Sea Champ has more free board. I can get in to water as shallow as I did in my Ranger BB. I do it regularly in the spring fishing the spawn. Mine holds 95 gallons of fuel but I never put more than 50 in it. Not sure what fuel assumptions go in to the 11.5" draft. One thing I like about mine is the large built in bait tank. Some don't like the built in tanks and use Grayline and such but I have no problem keeping bait alive in mine. I think they also made a tunnel for a limited time. If you buy a Champ make sure it is the rolled edge all composite hull. Not sure what year they switched. Neighbor has a 2000 and spent $5k on repairs last year.

Re: Family Boat - 06/04/20 08:25 PM

A wealth of knowledge here. I really appreciate the time and quick responses. Been viewing the forum for years, but have really appreciated the information and incite.

THANK YOU!
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Family Boat - 06/05/20 02:09 AM

A 22 bay champ would certainly check all your boxes if you can find one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum