Texas Fishing Forum

Need service for wiring

Posted By: cschneider

Need service for wiring - 05/28/20 03:10 PM

It looks like a mouse made its way into my boat and chewed up the wiring from the console area to the bow. The bass tracker dealer says it’s going to to take a new wiring harness to fix the issue. I want the job done right and clean. I’m a little particular on how things look and how they a run. Who would you choose in the ft worth area to do this type of work that will work with my insurance? The boat is a bass tracker 190. I know it’s not a new skeeter but I still want a quality clean job. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/28/20 03:36 PM

You could probably do it yourself for less then the cost of your insurance deductible.

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/28/20 05:00 PM

Parts alone are more than my deductible.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/28/20 05:52 PM

If "wiring" was chewed up, and you literally mean WIRING, there should be no absolute necessity to buy "parts". Parts items such as wire harnesses are commonly priced at huge mark-up, and not the way I would go. Just how much is at the bow of a bass tracker 190? I can't imagine the replacement wire (from spools) and required connectors costing more than a couple hundred dollars (plus installation). I bet I could replace very wire going to the bow of my Ranger 521 for less than $100 in materials (not counting 6 gauge trolling motor wiring or Ethernet cable).

Repair stations often take the mentality of installing "billable part numbers" such as that wiring harness so they get the horrendous mark-up in profit to go along with their labor. Unless you have a LOT of wiring, you could order a 25' spool of each color in a proper marine grade wire for a few bucks per spool.

Few knowledgeable people would put the words "bass tracker dealer" and "quality install" in the same sentence. The sad but true stories are endless on that topic. I would not dare let any of those places near my boat.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/28/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by cschneider

A few feet of wire, some shrink tubing and a connector kit. Unless your deductible is only $50 its actually an easy repair.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/29/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by cschneider

A few feet of wire, some shrink tubing and a connector kit. Unless your deductible is only $50 its actually an easy repair.

That was my train of thought too - I was just being conservative with my claims, having not seen the situation. But a Bass Pro tin boat doesn't exactly have a home theater at the bow to begin with!
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/29/20 07:37 PM

did they tell you the boat interior will need to be disassembled to install that harness?

Re: Need service for wiring - 05/31/20 12:09 PM

Took it to fun n sun and got a second opinion and they’re going to fix me up in a week or two. Thanks for all the responses.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum