Texas Fishing Forum

Boat battery portable jumpers...

Posted By: JIM SR.

Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/27/20 10:58 PM

Are these safe for boats cranking batteries,...anyone carry one,...what is a good one. I read NOCO is best.

fish
Posted By: Vicjay

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/28/20 05:45 PM

I have used one a couple times on my tritoon. Worked great. Schumaker brand from walmart. Sitting around anchored in a cove and swimming with the radio on all day is not good. Saved my butt a couple times. Since the last use i installed a second battery (deep cycle) with a switch so when hanging out i switch over to it. They also work great for a backup source to charge phones, tablets. etc...
Posted By: Ruquick

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/28/20 06:25 PM

I have a NOCO Boost XL GB50 that I keep in the boat when fishing. Works great!
Posted By: Cheryl B

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/30/20 01:41 AM

I also have a NOCO GB50 and will not go on the water without it.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/30/20 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cheryl B
I also have a NOCO GB50 and will not go on the water without it.

Ditto on the GB50. I have also cranked V8 trucks several times successfully. As to ability, the trucks would only click the solenoid - not even turn the engine over at all - but the GB50 did. They are safe for outboards, just don't leave it connected after you get it started.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/30/20 03:10 AM

I have three GooLoo's I got off Amazon. One in the boat, car, and truck.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/30/20 12:46 PM

I also have a NOCO Boost XL GB50. I suggest if you have a inboard battery charger going to your battery, disconnect those wires before using the boost. I didn't and it cost me a new on board charger. Just my 2cents

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/31/20 05:51 AM

Which on-board charger did you have that went sizzle? I'm not impressed that one did and want to avoid it. As an electrical engineer, I'd say it's design had a flaw.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/31/20 04:39 PM

Flippin-out The charger was a bass pro brand that I had installed in the late 90's that worked great for many years till I put the GB50 on my start battery. When I got home I plugged in the charger and found the one bank was dead.

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/31/20 06:08 PM

Technically, a jump-starter shouldn't be an issue for a dormant charger - just like having an outboard's alternator delivering charge current to the battery shouldn't be an issue. It sounds like the output isolation for one bank of the charger failed. The design includes one of several mechanisms to prevent the charger from draining the battery by current flowing in the reverse direction of when the charger is operating, and that probably broke down. Engineers joke that a component "stops working when you let the smoke out". roflmao
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 03/31/20 07:21 PM

I have been researching some and the Noco GB50 seems to have good reviews. I thought about getting the larger GB150 to also use on farm machinery and vehicles but reviews on it are not so great frown
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Boat battery portable jumpers... - 04/01/20 07:01 PM

I have a Weego and it has saved a number of anglers!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum