Texas Fishing Forum

Getting outboard back up and running!

Posted By: jsb91010

Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/23/20 12:11 AM

Hey guys, long story short I used to use my boat multiple times a week then came marriage and a child. I haven't used it since 2016ish. I want to get it up and running again but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on the maintenance things to do. It's a 1977 35hp Johnson. I used to do all the work on it so am very familiar with it just rusty! So far I am replacing water pump, rebuilding my carb and getting a new battery. I am thinking I should also replace the lower unit oil and get new plugs?? Anything else guys!!?? Thanks!
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/23/20 02:43 AM

replace the fuel pump diaphragm. maybe a little lubricant on top of the pistons and in the intake then crank it over a few times with plugs out

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/23/20 02:51 AM

do you mean like fogging spray?
Posted By: boatwhisperer

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/23/20 09:30 AM

fogging oil will work
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/24/20 04:52 PM

I would replace all fuel lines also. I have a 1978 35hp johnson they are excellent motors thumb

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/27/20 05:33 AM

yeah I put a lot of hours in her back in the day! Love that engine! I just did carb, water pump, new plugs, lower unit oil.... hopefully going to try to crank her up tomorrow!

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 03/30/20 02:00 AM

Hope it fires right up and purrrrrs cheers

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 04/04/20 11:21 PM

quick update, she fired right up but I noticed a water leak in the exhaust housing onnyhe side of the block. Just got the new gaskets the other day so will be replacing those. 👍

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 04/12/20 12:04 AM

Any advice guys... so I was removing the exhaust housing cover because I noticed it was leaking water when she was running the other day. While removing the motor Negative terminal that the battery negative hooks up to the bolt broke off as seen in the picture. I cannot get it out with pliers either. My question is can I just use one of the bolts that holds the exhaust cover on as the new ground and be done with it? I can scrape off the paint so it makes good metal contact. What yall think?

Attached picture 20200411_175732.jpg

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 04/13/20 01:44 PM

Yes you can but it will still leak water if you dont replace the bolt. Youtube removing broken bolts and see if you can find a way to remove it. Start soaking the bolt now with penetrating oil. Good luck to you!

Side note: ask your question on iboats.net way more experts on there

Re: Getting outboard back up and running! - 04/14/20 12:23 AM

on a side note, the water was leaking out of the other side of the housing! So that would really iritate me if it leaked where the bolt broke...I honestly didn't even think about that man! Thanks for the enlightenment
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum