Texas Fishing Forum

4 Stroke oil

Posted By: LUguy08

4 Stroke oil - 02/24/20 10:14 PM

What oil do you all use for your 4 stroke motors. I have a 90 Yamaha and have broken it in and used Yamalube. Wondering what else you all like to use and if I should continue using Yamalube or change it up. Oil has only been changed once as it is a newer boat.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: 4 Stroke oil - 02/24/20 10:28 PM

I would stay Yamalube
Posted By: KB1953

Re: 4 Stroke oil - 02/24/20 10:47 PM

In warranty, use Yamalube! thumb
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 4 Stroke oil - 02/25/20 12:54 AM

I thought I’d “outsmart” the Yamaha gods and try to do “better” for less. Three weeks ago, I bought some Royal Purple 10w-30 and a Sierra filter. The Sierra filter cross referenced to be the same for less than half the bucks.

Went to Squaw Friday and every time I fired up the motor, the “low oil” warning would start screaming. I’d shut the motor off and restart it and it wouldn’t come back on until the next time fished for a while. After the third time, I cut my
$30 “fun fishin” day REALLY short and trailered the boat. Checked the oil and it was right on the “full hot” mark.

Seems as though the filter would not drain down and it caused the oil level to appear low, or maybe it was the runny as water Royal Purple oil? Don’t know for sure.

On the way home, I stopped at funnsun and bought 5 qts of Yamalube 4M 10w-30 oil and a genuine Yamaha filter and drained out the $60 worth of Royal Purple oil. Then removed the $10 Sierra Filter....which made a HUGE mess, since it was an “anti-drain-back” filter. It was full of oil, that is now all over my garage floor being soaked up with cat litter. I have never had the Yamaha filter hold oil. It always came off about 95% empty. Nothing a paper towel wouldn’t clean up easily.

I fished a tourney Saturday and another Sunday. Ran it hard both days and no more issue with the “low oil” light coming on.

Moral of the story of my last three days? Do it RIGHT....with the CORRECT FACTORY products and the motor is happy. Saving $30 on oil and filter cost me $30 is Squaw money, $10 in cat litter, $5 worth of car wash quarters, and an afternoon of frustration.

Don’t be a “Steez”....buy the recommended products from a dealer. Lol.
Posted By: sll

Re: 4 Stroke oil - 03/06/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I thought I’d “outsmart” the Yamaha gods and try to do “better” for less. Three weeks ago, I bought some Royal Purple 10w-30 and a Sierra filter. The Sierra filter cross referenced to be the same for less than half the bucks.

Went to Squaw Friday and every time I fired up the motor, the “low oil” warning would start screaming. I’d shut the motor off and restart it and it wouldn’t come back on until the next time fished for a while. After the third time, I cut my
$30 “fun fishin” day REALLY short and trailered the boat. Checked the oil and it was right on the “full hot” mark.

Seems as though the filter would not drain down and it caused the oil level to appear low, or maybe it was the runny as water Royal Purple oil? Don’t know for sure.

On the way home, I stopped at funnsun and bought 5 qts of Yamalube 4M 10w-30 oil and a genuine Yamaha filter and drained out the $60 worth of Royal Purple oil. Then removed the $10 Sierra Filter....which made a HUGE mess, since it was an “anti-drain-back” filter. It was full of oil, that is now all over my garage floor being soaked up with cat litter. I have never had the Yamaha filter hold oil. It always came off about 95% empty. Nothing a paper towel wouldn’t clean up easily.

I fished a tourney Saturday and another Sunday. Ran it hard both days and no more issue with the “low oil” light coming on.

Moral of the story of my last three days? Do it RIGHT....with the CORRECT FACTORY products and the motor is happy. Saving $30 on oil and filter cost me $30 is Squaw money, $10 in cat litter, $5 worth of car wash quarters, and an afternoon of frustration.

Don’t be a “Steez”....buy the recommended products from a dealer. Lol.

smile Good story and advise.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum