Texas Fishing Forum

Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem

Posted By: Lubbockangler

Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/24/20 08:46 PM

I need some advice, as I'm not much of a mechanic. I have 2014 ranger with a mercury 250 pro xs. Around three weeks ago when I was done fishing an area and headed to the next and I put the throttle down, the engine started cutting out. I let it down, idled a little bit and then tried again, same thing....I idled a little longer and then tried it again and it took off. Ive been on the water several other times since then and had no issues, until yesterday. I had been running around, and I started doing some graphing around maybe at 3-4 mph. My boat all the sudden sputtered and just died. I tried to start it and no go. Sounded like a fuel issue, so I pumped the primer bulb a few times and and she started right up and ran fantastic again. Any ideas? I went ahead and took it to a shop, but I want to feel informed about things I could ask. suggestions?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/25/20 01:00 AM

Sounds like fuel lines are deteriorating.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/25/20 02:13 PM

Check inside filter and see if any trash is in there
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/25/20 02:44 PM

Could be any number of things. I recommend a new fuel filter, having all the fuel lines changed out and rebuilding the fuel pump at the very least. These are all maintenance items that should be done on a regular basis with the fuel we have today.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/25/20 02:56 PM

I'd agree with fuel filter, fuel supply line and primer bulb.

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/25/20 08:54 PM

Thanks for the Replies.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/27/20 05:09 AM

Just had same thing on a 2012 250 Pro XS Merc and we changed all of the fuel hoses and the bulb but didn`t help. Found a hose leak at the add on fuel filter water separator. Have also seen the top fuel hose coming out of the VST leaking causing problems.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 02/27/20 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lubbockangler
Thanks for the Replies.

I'm curious if the fuel filter has ever been changed. (since you said you aren't much of a mechanic, wondering if you have make yourself aware of owner responsibilities)

Re: Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel problem - 03/02/20 09:01 PM

just an update on this. we found out that there was a bad air hose that needs replacing. They are replacing it this week.

Flippin-out,

I'm not much a mechanic when it comes to anything more that basic maintenance.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum