Texas Fishing Forum

Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :(

Posted By: Ryan B

Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/16/20 03:24 AM

Well I bought a 2002 Majek RFL 18ft with a 1996 Evinrude 115 and took it to a good friends shop and found out the engine is pretty much toasted. So here I am looking at repowering the boat because I got the boat for less than 1k I can dump some money in to it. The only problem is that I’m still in college and trying to get my first nice boat going. So here’s my options, either repower with a 115 Suzuki or E-tec but of course I will have to finance. My only other option is to see if someone has a good deal on either a nice used 115 or 90 hp engine that is guaranteed to run. So if I end up going for a new motor, what would y’all pick? Also how much on average does a repower cost for someone to install and do everything? I have no experience with newer engines so it’s a whole different world for me. Also if y’all know of any cheaper repower options for a newer motor please let me know. But of course if worse comes to worse I’ll just end up selling the boat. So let me know what yalls a thoughts are. Thanks guys!!!
Posted By: TritonRob

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/16/20 12:25 PM

Try Integrity Outboards. I don't have any personal experience with them but I see their ads all the time and I think they do a bunch of work with the Parks and Wildlife dept. They usually have used outboards and will bolt it on for you. Someone else may have more info than me...
Posted By: boatwhisperer

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/16/20 04:10 PM

I have a 1996 Johnson 115 if you are interested. and I will offer you something for yours if you have the title you can reach me @ 817-455-8377 I don't know where you live just fyi thanks
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/17/20 03:22 PM

Suzuki.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/17/20 03:51 PM

If you go new, I’d suggest a four stroke motor.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/17/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun

With a flats type boat a 2 stroke would be a better choice. Lighter and better low end torque for getting on plane shallow.

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/18/20 01:14 AM

I appreciate you sir. Can’t wait to see the motor and even more I can’t wait to have it on my boat
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/18/20 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun

With a flats type boat a 2 stroke would be a better choice. Lighter and better low end torque for getting on plane shallow.

Not much bout 11lbs. A suzuki is cheaper, and has plenty torque to get that boat on plane fast. Suzuki has a 6 year warranty compared to a 5. Fun fact the zuki 115 and the 140 weigh essentially the same weight, food for thought. Mercury pro xs 115 is the lightest and has more displacement then both etec and zuki in case you may consider a mercury.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/19/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan B
I appreciate you sir. Can’t wait to see the motor and even more I can’t wait to have it on my boat

What did you end up going with?

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/20/20 10:20 PM

Well I have 2 options now, a 1996 Johnson ocean runner 115 or a 1994 evinrude 140. They both will have about a 4 month warranty. Just don’t know if there’s any major difference in reliability. I’m in pearland and the 115 is in Dallas. The 140 is in Port O Connor at vantage marine. Both are the same price but I have a house in Port O Connor so it seems if I get the 140 it would be easier to have work done to it if needed.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/20/20 11:12 PM

Gonna be a cr@p shoot with either. Your looking at a couple of 25 year old motors. Either could last a week or a decade. At a minimum check compression on both before making a decision.
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: Well my first boat and it looks like I’m re-powering :( - 02/21/20 09:51 PM

May be a good idea to check the boat to be sure it is not water logged before investing in another engine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum