Texas Fishing Forum

Deck boat fishing

Posted By: HaulinBass02

Deck boat fishing - 01/28/20 05:59 PM

Guys, we made the decision this past fall to sell the bass boat and get a more family friendly boat. So the Skeeter is gone and we are looking for a new(er) boat. I have had my heart set on one of the hybrid Center Console boats but I can’t afford them. The used options aren’t as plentiful yet and I’ve got kids that we want to spend the time on the water with now.
So I have shifted my search and am looking at a used NauticStar deck boat. This particular boat has fishing seats on the front and bases on the rear as well as a trolling motor (detachable). It is an I/O setup and a major shift from what I know about boats.
I’m more or less shifting from hardcore bass fishing and we are going to play and tube and ski, as well as do some sand bass and catfish chasing at this point. It’s a hard mindset change from a strict fishing boat so I’m wondering if the deck boat will even be ok to fish out of?
I assume I really don’t need live wells since there aren’t tourneys in my future so a cooler to keep some table fish should be fine. Anything else I need to be aware of or think about?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Deck boat fishing - 01/28/20 06:12 PM

Don't dismiss a bay boat. Most have flip up seats in the rear and an additional seat in front of the console. Mines 22' and I've had 6 people in it many a time and never felt over crowded.

Re: Deck boat fishing - 01/28/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Don't dismiss a bay boat. Most have flip up seats in the rear and an additional seat in front of the console. Mines 22' and I've had 6 people in it many a time and never felt over crowded.

It’s not that I’m dismissing a bay boat at all, but I need to fit 8 people at a minimum. A standard bay boat does not fit this bill. The newer Hybrid types do, but they are pretty new in concept and at this point, priced out of my range.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Deck boat fishing - 01/29/20 12:57 AM

8 people can fish off this pretty easy,and ride a lot better than a butt-busting deck boat.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: Deck boat fishing - 01/29/20 03:53 PM

Not knowing what your price range is. We bought a Avalon pontoon with three tubes and 150. it is the Catalina fish model with 2 pedestal up front and 2 in rear with bench in center. Very nice boat for our use we tube and ski and catfish, bream and bass fish out of it.
I will hold 8 and run about 30 mph. It has a detachable troll motor 55 lb thrust with a hand held joy stick to steer with.
We love it.

Re: Deck boat fishing - 01/29/20 08:49 PM

This is the boat we are highly considering. A pontoon isn’t totally out of the question, I just prefer something a little more “sporty” if you will......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Deck boat fishing - 01/29/20 09:06 PM

Wow, that is a nice deep deck boat.....no butt busting with that rig. You can do a lot out of that set up.

Re: Deck boat fishing - 02/04/20 02:35 AM

Well change of plans today after we went to look at boats. The first thing we saw out front was a Stingray 206CC.......center console hybrid. I had my eye on that type boat to begin with. My lovely wife climbed into it with the kids and fell in love with the room. So looks like we are now going firmly that direction. They made me a great deal on a leftover 2019 model. So we will see here in a little while..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Black Horse

Re: Deck boat fishing - 02/06/20 05:53 PM

No better time to buy them than cold winter weather! Except for the high 70’s we had recently. Great choice and enjoy your fam!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum