Texas Fishing Forum

Hydraulic steering question

Posted By: TxRanger1

Hydraulic steering question - 12/20/19 06:32 PM

About to purchase the new system and hoses and make the change. Question is about hose length. I measured from center of steering wheel around to the center of the motor. It measured almost 13 feet. Will 14 foot hoses do or is there suppose to be a little extra hose for some reason and should I get the 16 foot hoses?
Thanks
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 12/20/19 07:01 PM

I feel the 14s should be good what boat you putting this system in
Posted By: CADD

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 12/20/19 08:28 PM

In my experience, I would want the extra length since it will be a pain if they are to short... and usually with any wiring, etc. you end up needing more than you thought or measured confused
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 12/20/19 08:45 PM

Yea you dont want the hoses to long, They are a pain to try and hide the extra length.
Posted By: ibfish_n

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 12/20/19 09:28 PM

how long were the old cable steer you took out? That should give you an idea on length.
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 12/21/19 01:41 PM

Thanks guys, going on a Ranger 481 and I didn't think of measuring the old cables, stellar idea.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 01/03/20 04:00 PM

It depends on how the hoses come out of the bilge area. If it comes out directly from the starboard side then you will probably need about 18" extra so the hoses have room to move back a forth with the hyd, cylinder. It's not to hard to hide the extra hoses on most boats.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Hydraulic steering question - 01/05/20 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Yetts
It depends on how the hoses come out of the bilge area. If it comes out directly from the starboard side then you will probably need about 18" extra so the hoses have room to move back a forth with the hyd, cylinder. It's not to hard to hide the extra hoses on most boats.

thumb

I ordered an extra foot on mine, no problem at all with extra length and you do need some for the cylinder movement.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum